GB removed 2013, still having issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi from the US. Had my GB removed after 2 years of attacks in Oct 2013. Surgeon didn't believe it was my GB as it was just "swollen". Surgery proved GB was decayed, even adhered to liver (they had to scrape it off my liver) and had a huge stone inside. Fast forward three months, diarrhea started, even when eating toast/crackers. Was diagnosed with PCS at Gastro, placed on Welchol, due to side effects of med I stopped it & started all natual supplements (digestive enzymes, probiotic, DGL Licorice, etc.) and those have fixed that problem. Fast forward nine months, having right side pains and URQ pain same as when I had GB attacks. Pain will radiate into chest and around my back. Have had CT scan, xray, blood work x 100, you name it. Was also diagnosed as anemic & B12 deficiient as I was on Nexium for GERD. Stoped the Nexium as I was so anemic I had to have an iron infusion, was very ill for months, still very low in B12 although I get injections monthly, feel like crap overall. Due to complication with SOD I don't care to have Gastro investigate that, just wondering if there is anything anyone has tried to stop the recurring pain? I have also modified my diet to the tenth degree, low fat, low cal, low carb, etc. due to constant GI issues. So grateful to find a recent thread on these issues smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi from the U.S. also! I take Nexium also. Why was this bad for you? I had my gb out in 2004 and have terrible diarrhea with stomach pain. Sometimes this pain will radiate to back to stomach and go like to my r side. I am going back to the dr. He has already told me I prpbably had adhesions. I do take a powder 3x's a day and immodium that has helped to slow the diarrhea at times.I do notice certain foods I eat will bring on the pain. I am diabetic and certain foods I cannot eat. I wish I had more answers. I am going to ask for a cat scan to verify the adhesions or maybe there is a stone stuck somewhere. I will let you know.I do take Hydromorphone for back problem that seems to help my side pain also.
    • Posted

Hi Angela!! Read the side effects of Nexium. First is bone loss when used long term, second is B12 deficiency and blood disorders (anemia). I have all of those. I have high anxiety and being B12 def causes anxiety so I chose to take myself off the Nexium (which is VERY HARD TO DO) but it's "doable". Google it. I used to take the powder also and it helped, Welchol is the same thing but better and way more $$$. If you modify your diet & take digestive enzymes you are essentially replacing the Nexium. It sucks. You miss all the "bad food" ha. But you have to determine what is worse. I am still B12 def and I suffer every day, it takes about a year to feel better. No thank you. No Nexium for me. Good idea for CT scan. I refuse to take pain meds so if I "slip" and eat something I shouldn't, I have the same GB pains as I did before surgery. It's trial and effort. I also think I have adhesions, hence the side pain. Keep me posted on your scan smile
    • Posted

I did not know all those side effects from Nexium! Thank you for sharing! I will ge an alternative since I have acid reflux bad.wink
  • Posted

Hi from midlands uk. Don't have anything to add medically as you sound to have been very poorly and more complicated than dare I say just gallbladder troubles, not wishing to belittle that I know the agony too. I have mentioned in other posts that others had mention fresh apple juice (must be fresh from chiller not concentrates) and I did think it helped some thing to do with malik(spelling) acid I think. Good luck hope you soon find answers and feel better .
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer28269, I am from London, UK. I am in a very similar position to you by the sounds of it! I had my GB removed last year. I also had a hard time with Surgeons diagnosing Gallstones. Took me begging for a Endoscopic Ultrasound and throwing a lot of money at it to finally see the stones in there and they took it out as an emergency. Pathology results same as you. Badly scared and inflamed etc. 12 months on and I still get the dreaded flair ups. RUQ pain accompanied by nausea, vomiting, fever. My GP currently has me injecting myself with 20mg Buscopan whenever I have a "twinge". This has seemed to reduce the amount of ED visits..

Long term I am awaiting on a ERCP where they will place a stent in my bile duct and see if that helps. I've kind of learnt to expect the worst now though so we will see!

Not sure if any of the above can help, but always good to share as you never know!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up