General anxiety anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to these forums, but I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety disorder. I have always been an anxious person since I was 10. And I've been up and down and always get over it. I had my last episode 4 years ago and I went onto citalopram 20 mg and within a mo th I was fine again then in the last couple of weeks I suddenly started getting anxious again and it always affects my sleep. I went to the dr and she upped my citalopram to 30 mg I've been taking this for 2 weeks now and after day 5 I felt a lot better and slept again. Now I'm pre menstrual and I've started getting really anxious and haven't slept a lot in the last two nights!! I get so obsessed with not sleeping that it makes me more anxious, I am constantly thinking what if I don't sleep again tonight and then again the next night and what if I end up mad with no sleep so exhausting and I know why I can't sleep is because I'm worrying about it but how do you stop!! I get the sick feeling in my tummy by tea time and hot arms like a burning sensation then in bed I lay there with aching arms legs going into cramps it's horrible! All I need is sleep. My anxiety has been brought on by money worries and stress and guilty for getting into debt so also feel lots of guilt on my husband and family who are helping me out. Any one else suffered with this ??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Money problems can take its toll, and if you are also feeling guilty about the debt then it is a painful place to be. You need to be able to talk through all of this stuff before you feel better. The antidepressant can sometimes have a demotivating effect so that we put off doing things that are important and this then increases the anxiety. I am not sure if you are getting proper support with debt from a good debt agency or just trying to sort things out for yourself, Most of our worries affect us at bedtime and the symptoms can be excruciating - premenstrual tension is horrible but will pass - I would imagine that the 30mg citalopram will help with this after you have been on this dose for a few months.

I have in the past been very anxious/depressed- a single parent and in debt and with suport was able to sort things out bit by bit. I would say that the worst emotion that you are exeriencing at this time is 'guilt'- and this I would say is what needs working  on. Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks, yes the debts are being sorted with help from citizen advice and all in hand and my dad has been amazing I've been coping for months with it and were kind of in denial and suddenly I have all this anxiety inside from the build up

Of the stress. I've seen a counsellor who is great but she's not experienced this it's more of a case of think positive and that's that but it's hard to think positive all I want is a nice sleep as before the last two

Nights I was sleeping well for the 12 days before. I think my period being due has probably made me worse. Anxiety is just the worst and I hope I will sleep again

• Posted

Check with your GP first because of possible interactions with your anti-depressant , but look online for comments about Magnesuim for lack of sleep. For me it has been amazing. I only take it when i am sleepless. If it is okay then i would recommend buying the best one that you can afford. it is a supplement and has for me no side effects. The other thing which i find uselful is a double tea bag camomile tea. Make sure you leave tea bags in for as long as you can. Good luck - good to hear

that you have lots of support with debts etc.

• Posted

Omg, I was just thinking to post a similar thing, the day befire yesterday I didnt sleep , it was 3 am then ibrealised I really need to sleep as I have to be up early for my daughter. And guess what I coukdnt sleep, so I was like a zombie the next day I keep worrying that I wont sleep at night last night I was on and off with sleep, I keep worrying that I wont sleep abd thats majing it worse. Before this I was sleeping well. Any advice very greatful.
    • Posted

On sun night I slept 10.30-12 then 3.30-6.30 then last night was 12.30 -3.30 and that was it I tossed and turned all the rest of the night! I had aching arms and legs all night all from the anxiety and now I'm so scared about tonight as I have 3 boys and a 12 hr shift tomorrow. I no this is all me that's stopping me from sleeping but I can't seem to relax and will not take sleeping tablets
  • Posted

Hello I have suffered this, insomnia. The thing that worked for me is to think bed is only for sleeping.  If you can't sleep, then get up and do something.  Read a boring book, watch a boring show on t.v. Also used lavender diffuser in room, and sound spa to drown out noises.  Hope this helps some.
    • Posted

Hi thanks, not last night the night before I had 6 good hours all the anxiety was lifted as I felt so happy to sleep after 2 bad nights now I've just slept 4.5 hrs as my son was awake til one with an ear infection and I now feel anxious again. It's like I have this obsession with not sleeping! In the last 4 nights I've had 19 hrs sleep I'm used to 7 hrs a night!! Last week I was sleeping 7-9 hrs and just because I've had one bad night I've got myself all worried!! So annoying
    • Posted

I don't have children so I don't know what it is really like.  But I would think having children would never gaurantee you any certain amount of sleep?  Have you considered talking to your doctor about a referal to a sleep clinic?
    • Posted

Hi

I think I've just got myself a bit obsessed with not sleeping and it's me stopping myself as I'm worrying! However I slept most of last night woke couple times but straight back to sleep just need to work on relaxing my mind before bed! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.