generalized anxiety disorder and PMS

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am 18 years old girl. Last month I had panic attacks with all its symptoms: chest pain, short of breath etc. I couldn't sleep well at night, I would wake up in the middle of night feeling scared. Once I felt so bad my sister called emergency. I visited neurologist and she said I have generalized anxiety disorder. she prescribed me Korvant twice a day, Atarax before sleep and 5mg Valium (or half, 2.5mg) when necessary(only when panic attack). I did and do always worry about everything in my life. I am an introverted and often find it hard to socialize. But that time when I felt that much anxious was days before my menstruation. I started taking medications and in a few days I got my menstruation and symptoms slowly disappeared. Now, in about a month, I still got very anxious. I'll get menstruation in a few days but I started feeling anxious since last Friday. I have one more symptom now too which is very annoying, I feel tightness in my throat and it makes breathing and swallowing hard. I sometimes feel pain in throat too. I also got flu a few days ago. I think, is my anxiety connected to my menstruation? I never had anything like that before though.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would say it's definitely connected in the way that your first big panic attack was before your menstruation because it's created a trigger point for your anxiety..I suffer with anxiety and there's always a trigger .it could be a place or a situation where you had a panic episode before .don't think of them as panic attacks because the feelings we get are just like false alarms of impending danger ..it's our brains way of preparing the body for danger when actually there is no danger hence the term panic false alarm ..I hope you get better though because I know how horrible it is .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.