Generalized Anxiety Disorder ~ (my mom is the one with it) please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi im new on this site but im looking for info for my mom. she was diagnosed with it from the mayo clinic. my mom has a very extreme case of it and we cant find the cause of her anxiety. she has constant dizziness and occasional panic attacks (maybe once every 2-3 days or so) but they last for upwards of 2-3 days and always just puts her on the couch or on the bed because she simply cant do anything.

she has been to every doctor we can go to. she cant be around a lot of movement (example: last night was the fourth of july she had to go inside the house half way during are fireworks show and she just laid down on the couch for the rest of the show).

today she said she was feeling faint and when she got down the stairs she got wobbly and i caught her. this has only happend maybe 3 ish times in the past.

she has been like this for a year. we are very concerned for her i am 17 and my mom is 59. we love her vary much and have been taking care of her but we still havent found anything that works.

I smoke pot and my mom has caught me before recently i was looking on the internet for more info on GAD and thought of medical majuana. she has smoked pot when she was in her 20s but stopped after that. i was sitting with her and suggested that maybe she try it and she said that she would. she hasnt yet but she is going to.

please leave any comments and suggestions i would greatly appreciate it thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi is your mom on any med s for her anxiety. ? Also smoking pot can cause problems with her attacks. I would hold fire with the pot. Sertreline is also a good drug for anxiety there's loads of different pills out there. It s just finding the right ones. It's a long journey mental health. Your mom not alone.
    • Posted

she got off all of her meds becuase doctors were just throwing pills at her she has been perscribed everything from a to z. and i just found out she did try pot and it would help for the moment but she just went back right after it would go away. my mom is VERY reactive to medication she has had effects that amplify the problem multiple times from different medications.
    • Posted

i just asked her she has taken Sertraline before and had a very bad reation to it
    • Posted

Far enough I am a great believer in knowing your own body. Try the pot fingers crossed it works. Take care
  • Posted

im just looking for alternative medicine and stress releavers for her. i came into her room the other day and i was giving her drawing lessons and that brought alot of her anxiety levels down. she cant go out and do stuff because she could start to have dizziness and most often does. any info or suggestions that you guys might have would be great.
  • Posted

Hi.  Tell your Mom I empathise, having had a real bad case of feeling anxious for 3 months last year where I could hardly leave my room, let alone the house.  I spent hours in front of the computer watching Robert Smiths fasterEFT channel on YouTube and now do what he recommends every day.  I also have had a few sessions with a Practitioner and it certainly is helping me in all areas of my life. I never took meds other than the odd half tranquipam here and there because I too am very sensitive to anything that I take.  

I wish you and your Mom all the best.

• Posted

she also described having a literal shocking feeling in her muscles. i just found this out today she went to a doctor and they put needles in her arms at the nerves and sent a small current though them to test her nerves. im adding this because she has never described the shocking feeling to me i have seen her hands and muscles shaking before but i just thought it was part of the anxiety. were all starting to think this isnt just GAD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.