Genitourinary Prolapse

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Ladies..I'm looking at complete pelvic surgery next week and scared sh--less..I've read good and bad..but none have discussed when they were able to have intercourse..I'm very sexually active and I'm afraid things will change!Im in Huntington Beach CA..done my HW on my surgeon and relatively comfortable with him..please give me a little insite

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a posterior repair and tvt sling in feb I still have anterior grade 1 prolapse intercourse is perfectly fine for me everything feels better except I dont have a high sex drive 🙁 My poor hubby lol

• Posted

I was told by my doctor that it was ok to have sex at 6 weeks but things were too tender and sore then and I didn't have sex until about 12 weeks.  There was a fairly long sex thread earlier this year that might be interesting to you.

• Posted

I had an anterior and posterior repair plus a vaginal hysterectomy on May 4th, two months ago. I have still got too many internal stitches to even consider sex, they'd rip my husband apart! I'm seeing my surgeon this Friday so will ask if this is normal, I was advised to wait three months and at the time questioned that, but now I can see why.

There was a long discussion about this recently, we are all very different and it is a personal choice.

What exactly are you having done? Have you had children and if so did you have tears or an episiotomy? I didn't so this surgery and repair work and the stitches involved is all new to me. ??

• Posted

Hi.

This was a concern of mine as I'm also sexually active. You will be told you won't want sex, but it rubbish! I did after about 5 days even though I was in terrible pain. I had an orgasm at 2 weeks as I was bursting. It felt burning inside and I'm pretty sure it contributed to an abscess I developed later. I don't think my body was ready.

It's now almost 7 weeks for me and it is at 6-7 weeks that you are told you can consider sex. To be honest, even now I would not want penetritive sex. I am waiting another couple of weeks. I'm too scared of undoing the surgery so what more time to heal in that area. But ...of course that doesn't mean no other sexual activity or orgasms. In my experience I would wait unti at least week 4 before you have an orgasm. It's very frustrating but it's going to possibly jeopardise your recovery before this time. Think of it this way - you have stitches inside ( for rectocele along length if wall of vagina) orgasm contractions are in this area so it will aggravated the area. That is probably why it felt like burning to me.

Sorry I can't tell you otherwise. You will have to live a celibate life for a while. 😬

Caz

• Posted

Hi Terrie. I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair when I was 40 and it certainly didn't mean I couldn't have sex anymore! lol You would be wise to refrain from it until you're fully healed inside however. Just touching the area can introduce bacteria and cause infection. Lots of women have this surgery these days, it should enhance things as the vag walls are tightened, (lucky man)! lol  twisted After the surgery you will have a post op appointment with your gynae doc, ask for one if not. He/she should be able to tell you if everything is ok to go ahead or wait a bit longer. Tyr to be patient, it will help you long term. X rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.