GERD- 14 year old son

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey so my 14 year old son has had on and off reflux scence he was A newborn it usually always went away with PPI but recently it hasn't. We went to the gastro in Feb 2017 got Prilosec and then it seemed to work for a few months. Then in Aug 2017 it came back and we are back on them but it doesn't seem to help. Almost after every meal he gets throat gurgles, gas, heartburn and chest pains. It seems like everything he does makes him have it. We are going back to the gastro soon but does anyone have and idea what should be done? And he gets the throat gurgles very often what are those? Do u think anti reflux surgery is an option?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what to say. It's really awful when someone has to deal with GERD and stomach-instestine problems after being born. This however proves one thing that this disease is just hardwired to some people unfortunately. Some get it because of anxiety, some because of a haital hernia, some for no reason, they just seem to have the problem.

I can just say that he should obviously stick to PPIs maybe try an upper dosage (please don't take anything for granted here). If he has heartburn, then PPIs definitely, if the current ones do not help then try another PPIs drug. You ve got the following available on the market (generic): esomeprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, dexlansoprazole, rabeprazole, (ilaprazole and tenatoprazole in testing phase). Also try H2 blockers, maybe he will respond to them better now alto ugh being less powerful drugs in general, but some are better with them then on PPIs.

How long has your son been on this drugs for totatly, which dosage, which brand?, any side effects from them?, what alternative treatment have you tried? What do doctors say, what causes his GERD?

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. Right now he takes 40 mg per day and the doctor says that's the highest he should take. We still don't know the exact problem but they should hopefully do some more testing. I will mention going on a different ppi and mention the h2 blockers. He uses Omperzable 40 mg everyday and he has been on it for 1 month and was on it in March for a month. He has never shown much side effects and they held off on doing an endoscopy but they might do one.  

• Posted

Read on another forum another who experienced the gurgling said her ent told her that was due to air getting in. Prayers lifted for your son a complete recovery..
    • Posted

My story and how I beat globus, is title of forum. So many interesting discussions..hope u can find it. Discussing range from acid reflux to glibus, which comes with the acid sometimes..
  • Posted

Hi if he takes 40mg once a day, try taking 20mg twice a day instead, 20mg 

in morning 30 min before food then 20  in evening 30min before food. I find that helps with me.

but go for the endoscopy find out what's going on in there, it's not that bad.

wish him better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.