Gerd

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there just wanted some advice really I’ve always had GERD since a young age and have been treated with omeprazole for many years, over the last two years my symptoms seem to have worsened.  I find myself belching all the time, have gas, pain in abdomen , feeling nauseous all the time, have to drink after eating, strange tastes in mouth , phlegm in mouth most days. So I am seeing a gastroenterologist who send me for a BRAVO capsule study , this game back with excessive stomach acid and a vital hernia. Just wondered if the hernia could have developed after the last two years when it has worsened and has been causing all my problems??  I’m on 40mg esompreazole and 150mg ranatadine x 2 a day which stops the burning but not the feeling of something in my chest travelling up to my throat ? Just need some advice as to what’s going on, am really scared and just want to feel better 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nathan. I was on Esomeprazole for about a month. It's good to prevent heartburn, but it can't stop other gastric contents like pepsin to pass down your throat. Walking always helps. Certain sitting postures make it worse. I feel like I've constant mucous in my throat and possibly swollen lymph nodes. The medication you take is good for blocking acids but not the other gastric contents, which is why LPR symptoms persist.

• Posted

Is there any way to stop the other symptoms ? I know losing a bit of weight will help but feel so I’ll when I excercise so it’s stoppjng me doing that,  any ideas ? 
  • Posted

Hi Nathan. I’ve had reflux symptoms for a couple of years and up until recently was told it was just anxiety. I had an endoscopy twice, one dr said everything was normal, the other says I’ve a hiatus hernia and Barrett’s oesophagus. I’m going for a third endoscopy and bravo test soon. I get pains in my back and chest particularly after eating and at night and my heart races after eating. I’m taking omeprazole which helps with the acid but isn’t stopping the pain and discomfort in my back and chest. Good to know your bravo test determined if you had a hernia. I’ve no idea what to think! 
    • Posted

Yeh just really struggling with it, doesn’t help that I have a phobia of being sick probably makes things a lot worse just wish I could get a cure for it , I think surgery might be my next port of call! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.