GERD and the lack of acid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 20 and I have GERD, probably for more than a year, I didn't realized it was GERD at first but recently I started coughing after drinking coffee which probably irritates my throat, so I went to the doctors.

I had a Gastroscopy and everything inside is fine, the doctor prescribed me these:

Dexilant - PPI

Prokit (Itopridi hydrochloridum)

Esoxx One

After 3 months he said to stop taking these.

I'm on a ketogenic (low carb) diet, which means I eat a lot of fat, I've told the doctor that I'm on such a diet but I think he didn't understood that eating low carb means eating more fat. I'm concerned about taking PPI's as digesting fat requires more time and if the acidity of the stomach isn't going to be high enough, who is going to do the work?

Prokit is an interesting drug and I'm willing to give it a go as it sorts the main problem which is the open esophagus and slow digestion.

Esoxx One seems to be a soothing drug as it contains Hyaluronic acid, so that I'm fine with that as well.

Even tho the meds are for 3 months, will they actually help in the long term, after I've stopped using them? I can't imagine being on those for the rest of my life.

Vinegar seems to ease my gerd a little bit, so form that I dare to extrapolate that I don't have enough acid and that's why the food is hanging about in the stomach for too long making me feel full and bloated.

I've been wondering about using Betaine HCl with pepsin supplements as I've read that many GERD's are due to not enough acid which causes the food to hang about in the stomach for too long which results in the esophagus opening for some reason.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4991651/ - This study shows that HCL works quite well.

Are there any dangers to supplementing HCL? If it helps then does that prove that I have hypochlorhydria?

I recon that my stomach doesn't produce enough acid because of stress, as I seem to have less severe symptoms of GERD when I am eating more calmly.

Is exercise after meals recommended (it helps with the symptoms)?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

To be honest, I would try the medications your doctor has prescribed for you, without worrying about whether or not they will work in the long term.  Your doctor is the expert. I wouldn’t be overloading your stomach with lots of other supplements on top of what you have been prescribed.  Check with your doctor first about any of these supplements. 

I took omeprazole years ago short term which worked.  However, I switched to H2 Blockers and milk in the end because I don’t like going to doctors unless absolutely necessary. I have a phobia and anything medical sresses me out.

I would try to reduce fat in your diet rather than follow one that is high in fat.  A fatty diet is bad for GERD.  I have GERD and extremely fatty foods trigger symptoms for me.   I would concentrate solely on taking your medication for your GERD rather than trying to figure out whwther you have high or low acid production.  Follow what your doctor is telling you without worrying about the cause.  Stress can aggravate GERD   

I would not recommend exercise after meals.   It could disturb your digestion.  Give your stomach time to process your food.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.