gerd/angina

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have a feeling of something stuck under my left rib that makes me feel like I can’t breathe in properly sometimes, sometimes when I’m exerting myself it feels like it’s being pulled tight & then I get pains radiating from my back to my chest & jaw. I am going through test for angina as there was a blip on my ECG but I feel like this comes from my stomach. If it was angina would it this feeling be there 24/7.

Has anyone else experienced this, as I was told it could be Gerd. I do have issues with acid reflux. 

Enjoy your day 😀

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've had Gerd for past year and have same as you but on right side, I'm terrified it's my liver, there is no peace to be had from this wretched disease, doctors are very dismissive, hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thanks Kate. You too. Have you had checks on your liver? 
  • Posted

So the pain is there all the time?

But exercise makes it worse?

Does lying down make it worse?

What does it feel like - burning or heavy?

Do you feel sick or breathless with it?

Does stopping exercise make it better?

From 0 to 10 how severe is it?

Do you smoke, have high BP or high Cholesterol?

How old are you? Family History of Heart Disease?

• Posted

Hi Ben.

No the pain is not there all the time but the feeling of something being there is.

Sometimes exertion makes it worse but the pain seems to start under my rib.

No laying down doesn’t make it worse.

Its a heaviness rather than burning.

Breathless sometimes. 

Yes stopping relieves the pain but not the feeling of something under the rib (which feels like it’s connected to mt throat too 🙄wink.

It can vary on the scale from 1-10.

Smoke probably 6 a week. High  cholesterol. Yes to family history.

• Posted

How old are you?

Do you ever get the pain at rest?

Is it a gnawing pain?

Does it hurt when you press/massage the muscles of your chest?

• Posted

I’m 58.

No I don’t get the pain when resting only this feeling of something under my ribs.

No not gnawing. Flares up & goes when I stop moving my arms.

No not really.

i can feel this heaviness if I’m laid on my left side at night & sometimes I can feel my pulse/heartbeat all over my body.

• Posted

Hi 

I have exactly as you described but on right side,

pressure under my ribs, feeling like a balloon

is being pumped up  inside, pain sometimes

when i press on my sternum its always sore,

nausea etc, etc

Kate

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I had an ultra sound done recently, doc said my liver looked fine, also had cat scan of abdomen done last year, terrified cause my dad died of pancreas cancer

• Posted

Hi there, I am not an expert, but I think it is gerd related.  I am dealing with similiar feelings, except mine I feel beneath the collar bone and I get a sensation in my that that something is constantly stuck and as the day goes on it can feel tight.  I have had all heart tests to rule out heart, and they are telling me it is acid reflux.  Everyone can experience different feelings, for example my husband feels acid splashing in the back of his throats where mine feels like there is something stuck in the back of the throat.  I also get upper back pain that can feel burning.  I think because there is inflammation we are feeling it in refereed areas. Have you done any testing to see if it is gerd?  I am to be going for a barium swallow in the next few weeks, I also am having an X-ray on my upper back just to rule out any muscularskelital issues.  I have been living with this for 4 months and have been living with hope that it will go away.  I think there's have been a few weeks when I felt like it was gone....but it seems to flare up again.   I really need to start keeping a diary of the foods that trigger it.

• Posted

Hi Linda. No tests done for Gerd done yet as my doctor wants to rule out angina first. 

I really do feel that this is stomach related but at the same time when the symptoms are at there worse, it makes me wonder if it is angina 🙄. Can’t wait for the test to be done. 

Thanks for your reply. 😊

• Posted

It's good that they are being thorough, I know they did this for me too, checked all the heart stuff first, which is the most important.  When I get a esophageal reflux spasm, the pain is so intense that you think that it could be heart.  I know after I had all the heart tests done, and a couple months later I had a spasm, I went right back to the hospital....but again all heart test showed normal.  I was told by the cardiologist that the nerve of the esophagus actually shares nerves with the heart and that is why it is easily mistaken.  They told me anytime if the pains are severe it is always best to get checked out.  At this point like I said I am now getting other tests done to rule out muscular and stomach issues.  Barium swallow will show any abnormalities, but still not 100% test, so an endoscopy might be the next step if things don't calm down.......either that or I take a PPI and see if things settle.  At this point I am watching my diet and trying some natural remedies to help the digestive tact......Good luck with all your tests smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.