Gerd Chest Pains, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

So I've been suffering with really bad GERD pains.

My chest was always hurting (Exactly like a Heart attack)

Neck, Back, Jaw, Left arm, Neck and shoulders were all hurting.

And, to top it all off, my Anxiety would al ways go up as i thought i was having a Heart attack.

Went to the hospital about 10-11 times as it was getting worse pain wise.

I have had so many tests done, Bloods, X-rays, Endoscopy, Camera down my throat and up the other way.

All test came back as normal (But was diagnosed with GERD and Esophogus spasms).

So, my Doctor put me on Citolopram (for anxiety), ranitidine (for stomach acid), Emozul (for stomach acid), Zapain (for pain) and Amatriptolyne (for nerves).

I have to take up to 18 tablets a day, But, when i finally got it thru my head that i'm not having a heart attack, I am now a lot calmer.

I for some silly reason got scared of leaving the house incase something happened to me (Don't know how i developed that), but i'm glad to say im over that fear.

Still get my chest, Arms, Neck, Back and Shoulder pains, but the medication has got it controlled a lot more than it was.

So, I'm getting better, and i'm typing this story to tell others how i overcame my fears and how i manage to calm myself down.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The 'heart attack' symptoms are quite common. I've had them off and on for over 30 years years with GERD and hiatus hernia. I also get numbness in my foot at the same time!  Doctors initially twice sent me to A&E because of it. Now I just sit it out knowing it is not a cardiac problem. 

I stopped the PPI in April as it was contra indicated with another med that I had to take for a month and had no symptoms and continued without until it came back with a vengance two weeks ago.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your situation. I know exactly how you feel. I've been getting the same type of pains for 12 yrs. To top it off I also get costochondritis which had similar heart attack pains!! I also suffer with anxiety, so the more it hurt, the more i panicked, then the pain got worse. Went to Aand E many times and they tried to reassure me with a barrage of tests, but that reassurance only lasted as long as that episode. I too have finally tried to rationalise the situatIon and stay calm, which does help, along with taking a ppi and aloe Vera juice. Long may our stress be less and our acid controlled! !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.