GERD for many years

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have had GERD for many years (about 12 years) and wondered if anyone else has had this condition for many years and how they have coped with it?  has your condition got worse over the years?  what tests have you had etc?  I am now scared that after many years of having GERD that i may have damaged my oesophagus as just lately my symptoms have worsened

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, i saw a GP this morning.  She has now changed my medication from Omeprazole to Lansoprazole (30mg daily).  She has ordered an endoscopy for me so at least i am getting tests now.  She thinks the pain behind my right shoulder blade is muscular (especially as it pulls when i turn my head to the right).  The feeling of 'lump in throat' she said is probably due to inflammation.  I was upfront with her and told her that my main concern is that after years of GERD that i now had something serious (the dreaded C word) but she was adamant and reassuring that had i got something sinister i would not be able to eat and my weight would plummet rapidly so at least i came away feeling a little reassured.  I am just glad now though that i will be having some tests at last.  I do hope the Lansoprazole will ease the symptoms.  I'll keep you all posted and thanks for your comments, i can't believe how many people suffer from GERD like i do.  I partly blame the fact that i am very overweight but at least i have now joined a slimming group and slowly losing a little each week, this can surely help my condition.
    • Posted

i started globus sensation 3 yrs ago. doc put me on dexilant 60mg daily for 3 months- took 6 months to heal- i went on normal diet and it came back 5 months ago with new symptom: muscle dull pain in upper chest and back- i can now feel food being stuck for about an hour- the feeling comes and goes- there are good days and bad days these 5 months- will go back to gastro next week
  • Posted

It is reassuring to know so many people out there are suffering from this.  I feel sometimes if i had lost a lot of weight years ago, maybe i would never have got this condition (I am about 5 stones overweight so in the obese category).  I am trying so hard to lose weight, excercise more and just when i think i am doing well, i then get a knock back with my health.  It does worry me that having years of GERD has maybe damaged my insides and i am so many tablets at the moment (i am also Type 2 diabetic) that i am getting really fed up with my health issues at the moment :-(
    • Posted

Raffaela,

Although diet definitely has a part to play, I am not and have never been overweight and I suffer from LPR....my endoscope showed I had an inflamed oesophogus and so I have cut out any spicy food as well as citrus (I already follow low fodmap for food intolernace IBS since a bug), so its quite hard eating bland food all the time and thai curry was my saviour and that has gone now...i stick to salmon, chicken, potatoes, rice, wheat free pasta, peas, corn, brocoli, carrots, green beans, bananas and melon and soya yogerts or sorbet. I'm missing the thought of a glass of wine tonight, but the diagnosis has scared me as I don't know how it would affect me as its so acidic. Focus on plain food and snack on rice cakes.xxx

• Posted

I would be more worried about the diabetes than the reflux because that can have a much more serious impact.

I find that if I am slightly overweight it impacts my reflux so losing weight will probably really help you. Unfortuately that means being really tough on yourself and not buying the high calorie foods so you can't be tempted. You will probably need to seriously change your diet and I suspect that will not be easy.

• Posted

Oh I am so glad you have been sent for tests!!! Hopefully your new meds can help to relax your symptoms before then. In the meantime maybe perhaps join a club like Slimming World, my boyfriends dad had type 2 diabetes and this diet worked well with his condition and he lost loads!! Keep us up to date on your results from Scope. Good luck xx 
    • Posted

I go to WW and have nearly lost half a stone.I am very relieved to have these tests and hope iI can get to the bottom of these symptoms.
  • Posted

Another thought has occured to me while thinking about my long term GORD.  For quite some time (i would say months ago to a year ago), i used to wake up in the mornings with bad reflux which mainly radiated to my lower back and just put this down to reflux but now that over the last couple of weeks or so my symptoms have prompted me to visit my GP and now getting an ultrasound scan and endoscopy due i am wondering if this 'lower back reflux' was actually due to reflux or has now manifested itself into something else?  I'm sorry if i keep whittling about this but just wondering if i've got so used to being told my symptoms were gastric reflux that it probably wasn't all along and is something else and the fact that i've ignored it for so long, my mild abdominal pain could be due to something else.  I am a Type 2 diabetic and have my regular 6 monthly diabetic reviews and my blood tests for liver, kidneys etc have all come back fine so not sure what it could be but i guess i will just have to be patient and wait for my scan - not a lot else i can do (apart from whittling!)
    • Posted

I know this post is really old - but did you get your tests results back and what were they? You sound exactly like me, I'm 40 and too scared to get an gastroscopy.

• Posted

hello there i just happened to log in today and saw your post.  I did end up having an endoscopy and it was found that i have a hiatus hernia.  I still get reflux and from time to time i take omeprazole when it gets too bad but other than that i am just trying to lose weight to improve everything ie my diabetes, GORD, fatty liver etc so not a good year for me healthwise last year.  How are things with yourself?
    • Posted

Hi carina just sent a reply but for some reason it it lower done on hear... not very good at this new to forum hope you can find it 
  • Posted

Hi,

I "HAVE HAD" Gerd since 2009. I either almost died or it just felt like I was dying when reflux occurs while I am sleeping. It happens with or without my medication.

I can tell you now with certainty I have this beat. How? Water. I have tried this now for 3 months and within these wonderful 3 months no Gerd not one! Seriously not one. I hope that this will work for you too.

Take your meds as prescribed BUT take it with LOTS of water. Seriously, one pill two pills I do not care LOTS of water. At least 300 - 500 ml. Also take LOTS of water a few minutes before you eat. Does not matter breakfast, lunch or dinner at home or at a restaurant. Then take LOTS of water 15-30 min before you go to sleep.

Try it. If it works then GREAT! If it does not then back to the drawing board. I am happy now that is all I can tell you. Soon I am going to try this without taking my Gerd meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.