Gerd? Reassurance sought

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I have been to my GP and he has put me back on Omeprazole (was on them a while back) for what he suspects to be refulx but I am on a 3 week review. I have been taking the pills for 2 weeks now but for a large part of the day (I do get relief sometimes) it feels like I am being strangled with a very tight feeling at the top of my throat, it seems to get worse when I talk a lot.  I have been sleeping upright in a chair for almost a month now and as yet no big changes. Other symptoms are horseness, dry cough, feel sick sometimes and very windy / gassy / toilet visits a lot!  Does the gagging / lump / tightness go on for weeks with some people? Does it sound like Gerd? Is there anything more I can do to help the gagging..... (I do eat small meals etc already and dont drink / smoke etc.)

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms you describe are typical for extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly called LPR) .

Reflux from the stomach into the oesophagus (GERD) can traverse full column and breach the upper sphincter where it can cause these problems.

Read the section in www DownWithAcid org uk which describes the process and discusses management of the condition.

The omeprazole will reduce acid so the reflux is less damaging, but may not reduce the reflux itself.

• Posted

Yes, symptoms like the ones you wrote can be Gerd. You can watch out for the things that irritate you. I for one have noticed that sweets, sugar, carbonated beverages, dairy products do aggravate my symptoms. Whenever I follow a diet excluding all these I am almost ok. Symptoms are much much lighter and easier to live with.
  • Posted

As far as the 'lump sensation' in your throat goes...I've had it for 3 years. I take 40 mg of Pantrapazole daily which supressses the stomach acid but in turn does not alleviate symptoms.
  • Posted

hi feeling of lump in the throat is known as globus sensation usually relieved with eating.try to be stress fress as you can. sleep after at least 3 hrs of your last meal. avoid exercises that involves the abs such as crunchies or sit ups .
  • Posted

Hi , the feeling you get like being choked Or strangled I get as well. I swear it didn't start till after I started the PPI drug. It was recently so bad I ran to emergency thinking my throat was shutting. I have some severe food allergies. The er doc told me it was esophagus spasms and that it feels like a severe tightness, pressure and chocking feeling. I took flexeral a muscle relaxer for two days and the feeling went away. When ever I feel that sensation starting I take one of them. But they do make you tired so I only take about 5 mg and I don't drive that day. The doc said when you have acid reflux it can inflame your esophagus with is a big muscle really. And some times from the inflammation it will start to swell and spaz. That's when we get the choking:pressure feeling. I do however notice I get a lot of gas as well and that travels up my throat and can make me feel the same feeling. It's hard to figure out which is which sometimes. So I have to be very careful what I eat. No cabbage, broccoli, apples, beans, except green beans. Nothing that creates lots of gas. Hope this helped a bit. Its definitely very frustrating to say the least.
  • Posted

Hi coupeboi

Yes your symptoms are very similar to mine and i have also been recently diagnosed with LPR. LPR is similar to GERD except it affects the throat more than the common heartburn/chest pain symptoms of GERD. 

I have not had trouble with having to visit the toilet often, in fact i feel like i visit it too little at times. But the rest of your symptoms sound similar. I can relate perfectly to that annoying tightness in the throat along with the globus (lump) feeloing. Not only can it go on for weeks, it can go on for months or years. But i don't mean to alarm you. there are many things you can start doing to help yourself feel better. I am also being prescribed Omeprazole but i plan to try stopping them soon and stick to a very strict diet to remove certain fatty/acidic foods as much as possible to see how i feel. it is on thing to eat small meals every day but with a disease like this you should also start managing what things you eat or drink during those small meals. I've had my symptoms for about 4 months now. Including nausea/gagging (never vomited)

• Posted

Sorry to take long to reply.For me the best thing u should  do is go for endoscopy, maby you dont have just the acid reflux you also can have the H.pilory (that was my case) i had a similar symptons you are having, so i did get rid of H.P , but i am on emaprozole since 3 weeks, i am felling better, i still feel the pain up to my chest at night time. Carry on eat small meals, gap 3 hours, 2 liter of water per day sip by sip, fruit but not citrus. Finally the moust important thing don t panic, be calm , confident , i am sure you will be just fine.see you soon
  • Posted

Hi i feel for you this disease is the pits. Its hell on earth. I would advise doing some research on ppis ie omprezole, nexium etc. I dont think these drugs are the answer. In my opinion they will only cause other serious issues with the digestive system. Our stomach acid is there for a reason and if we take it all away that spells trouble.

I have had gerd for nearly 3 yrs and at the beginning i tried 3 dofferent ppi meds. That made me feel terrible. Bloating, constipation, chest pains and anxiety and i was still spending most of the night upright in a chair crying not sleeping. I decided to come off drugs but not suddenly. I went from ppis to zantac 150mg twice a day (morning and b4 bed). This helped more than ppis? Then i went down to one pill a day at night (my worst time). Then i stopped zantac and replaced it with gaviscon. Then eventually i replaced gaviscon with dgl licorice and licorice tea. I also toom d limonene every other day for 20 days. That seemed to help. I also had to adjust my diet. Less meat and carbs at night time. No chocolate, alcohol or caffeine. Plus i started meditating and doing yoga. Stress was my biggest trigger. I did get a lot better however i have just had a big flare up due to my teenage daughter. Im about to have my third endoscope as i do still get acid coming up every night. I do have a very small hiatal hernia but i dont believe its the sole cause of my issues. Im also perimenapausal. I believe hormones play a part as well.

Have u had an endoscope yet? You want to find out the following:

1 do u have a hiatel hernia

2 do u have food allergies or celiac disease

3 do u have parasites

4 does your les muscle work properly (manometry test and ph study)

5 do u have helicopactor pylori

Can you take a probiotic? I would try. I cant as it seems to make me worse for some reason. Leave at least 4 hrs between eating and lying down and leave 2 hrs tween eating and exercise.

Trying the FODMAP diet for a month might be worth a go to. Dont give up until you find the cause.

Also raising my bed helped me loads. I put 2 bricks under the top of bed. I think anxiety kicks in at bedtime. I did have to go on sleeping meds for 2/3 months and im still taking lexapro 10mg per day (2 yrs). This helped a lot 2. But i would seriously consider taping off omprezole especially if you are still having to sleep upright at night.

Hope all this helps. If u try everytging and u still have reflux consider the wrap or Linx. I might have the linx op. All the best my fellow sufferer. May we all help one another out of this hell hole!!!!

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry you feel so rough, I sympathise with all your describing its a horrible problem that make you feel miserable.

My reflux started all of a sudden 7 mths ago with a terrible hacking cough that wouldn't go away. Eventually I was referred to Ent.

ive ceoliac disease and the consultant has said my reflux is due to my body not producing enough enzymes to digest my food.

ive been on ppi' s 20 mg per day in the morning. I could do with more but I've stuck it out as I don't want to be dependant on them.

i take enzymes with my food which you can buy from health food shop.

My cough has almost gone after being on the tablets for 10 weeks. I'm not 100% but so much better than I was.

im not suggesting you may be ceoliac but possible enzyme problem which are cheap to buy and they may help?? I'm surprised how many people are on them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.