Getting a job with chronic pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been in constant pain for around 5 years, from nerve damage after a complicated appendicitis. The level of pain varies, and leaves me continuously exhausted. I was wondering how anyone else with a similar condition managed a job? I've coped with school and university after a fashion, but these allow for greater flexibility than full-time employment.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi DK, I had revision hip replacement and tried to go back to work but i was in too much pain I found out I have sciatic nerve damage from surgery site. So back on disability I can no longer do my job i was standing on my feet . So now looking for office job need to go back to school in april to brush up on some skills. So yes i understand your pain I have chronic pain nerve pain is worse at night . Im also working with pain management doctor and physical therapy3x week , Its hard not working some days are better than others

Jackie

• Posted

Hi,

I have been in chronic pain for 8 years. I am a lawyer and manage to make it work even though sometimes it's truly awful.

G

• Posted

Hi

I've been in cronic pain for 3 years that surgery to remove a tumour on my pancreas has left behind.

I work as a hospice nurse and I would say my role is not as demanding as hospital nurses as our hospice is only small. For the last 2 years I've been on a mix of medication, the most recent one being Pregablin. Sadly this left me so spaced out it was impossible to function.

Currently free of meds but in a lot of pain....done the pain management clinic and cbt with no positive outcome.

I do still work but I am very much grinning and bearing it :-/

J

• Posted

Hi DK. I am in a similar boat. I had a tricky appendectomy plus a few illnesses that have left me with constant pain mostly on the left hand side of my abdomen. I am working at the moment, an office based job. I'm part time at the moment but hope to go up to full time using Pregablin for the pain coupled with tramadol. My doctor helped me a lot. I've also been referred to a London hospital to go through a residential to help me cope with the pain. Hope things get better for you.

x

• Posted

Hi

good luck with going back to work and the meds. Please read up though on here all the cases of people with side effects to pregablin as if you are susceptible it will take away capacity for work. I have been on tramadol for two and half yesrs and when on pregablim had horrendous side effects. Begged to be taken off it after 4 months. You may not get them and wish you well ... 

• Posted

To DK1034 ..I am so sorry what you have been through and still to cone. Hope it goes well and result is healthy and fully functioning and abke to start to rebuild your life. Must be so worried. But thankyou for highlighting this. Sadly there are so many cases of wrongky diagnosed patients and worse, docs who refuse to take seriously suggestions made by the patient themselves and often with disasterous consequences.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

Dear DK1034, sorry to hear of your pain and your worries, I think many of us and felt the same at some point..I know I did,when I was medically retired from a job I loved,I wondered if I'd ever work again.Even with meds and pain coping techniques pain and exhaustion are here 24/7 in varying degrees.It was very easy to fall into a 'woe is me' place and not be able to see a way out. BUT I knew whether I did nothing or did something ,the pain would still be there. SO it was down to me to get on with it and learn to pace myself. Ok I couldnt work like i did but i could work. So i got a little job just washing up,nothing taxing. I was told to apply for PIP which I did and was granted lower rate.This meant if I worked between 16 and 24 hours a week I was entitled to working tax credit . This helped to boost my income and more importantly my morale. So I now do an average of 18 hours a week,I now do starters and desserts,Ive acquired my food certificate and changed careers ..I was a dog warden. Has my pain gone ..no. Do I still get exhausted ..yes. BUT I have gained so much more..my self respect,my confidence and an appreciation of how best to care for me. I ensure I rest when Im not working,I take my meds as prescribed,i keep myself as mobile as i can and i ask for help when i need to. Work is more than possible,it may be different to what you expected/hoped for ,but you can do it.smile There are people far far worse of than I and they manage it. And there is help out there. I would never have known /thought about going for pip or working tax if the lady at the job center hadnt advised it. 

Just go for it,dont let pain prevent you,you are not your pain .

Best wishes smile   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.