Getting fit post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had issues after a long walk(this is not the first walk, but I have no issues before). I've been walking about 1 1/2-2 1/2 miles at a time. Since the last one my ankle keeps trying to give out and swelling a ton even if it's just walking through the house. Had an appointment today and my doctor did nothing but tell me X-rays were normal and just to keep walking. How can I keep walking when my ankle tenses up and tries to just give out? I do still have hardware in but he said he doesn't want it out unless we get the swelling to stop. Are there any braces or wraps to help this issue? I need to be losing weight, and walking always helped me before.

***I am 20 incase there are any age questions, 1 year post op in July.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what kind of ankle surgery you've had, but I've read that it's common for swelling to last a year. Perhaps it would be good to decrease your distance for a while and gradually build up to longer distances. I've seen ankle braces that you could probably try. One doctor mentioned that they are helpful to a point, but braces can also keep your ankle from getting stronger. Good luck. I'm itching to get back to walking myself but I'm only 10 weeks post-op so I know it will be a while. I love to walk in the spring.

• Posted

Thanks! I'm about 8 months post op and I've went through my share of the swelling but it had stopped and oddly came back. I'm not sure which ones would help and which would just be a waste of money. My doctor is a great surgeon however he makes you feel like he doesn't have the time to even listen to you, has awful bedside manner and people skills.. I hope your's is a better people person!

• Posted

How far out are you from what kind of ankle break/surgery? I am 13 months out and I remember it took a while. I think you want to push a bit every day, but your body tells you when you need to rest it, so it is good to listen to it. I really wanted my hardware out, but at 13 months out it is not causing me any problems, and I am so glad I didn't do another surgery now. Things I read said to wait until 12 months to really access hardware removal, unless you are having really big problems. Try a compression sock. It really helped me- I slept in them, once my ankle healed enough to get them on easily (they are tight, so you need a somewhat healed ankle to get them on). They can help a lot with swelling. I found a great pair on Amazon called Vitalsox Graduated Compression VT1211 socks. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I am almost 8 months post op. I broke it and had surgery putting in a plate with 10 screws in it in my fibula and 2 screws in my ankle on each side. I hadn't had the swelling in a couple months and have been fairly active until this randomly started up about along with grinding and popping feelings that my doctor brushed aside as nothing. His advice was to just keep walking.

• Posted

Pain and swelling can be expected the first year. Mine stopped swelling at around the 8 month mark although it still throbs and makes a cracking sound when I take a step.  Results of my CT Scan show the two ot the ankle bones have healed nicely but the Fibula is still healing.  Friends of mine that have had knee replacements and other such surgeries involving bones and joints tell me just to have patience.  It will heal.  Since I am not using crutches anymore I have found I have gained weight and need to start exercising.  I have never been this heavy in my life.  This week I will start some cardio exercises to get my heart rate up thus the beginning of fat burning should start. 

• Posted

Oddly enough, I lost a good 15-20 lbs after mine due to being 3 months nonweight bearing so I didn't want to eat cuz I didn't want to keep getting up due to my stomach issues. I know there a lot more I need to get off however. The X-rays apparently look perfect but he offered me no insight on anything to help.

• Posted

Don't worry! The weight will drop off when you start exercising. If you add up the calories you didn't use all this time, there's no surprise it's easy to gain weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.