Getting knee straight after TKR 7 weeks post op.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just got back from my therapy and the knee bend is getting better 115 but I am still unable to get my knee straight. This is getting very frustrating. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm 9 weeks and cannot get mine completely straight either, when i am sitting I straighten leg and tense thigh muscles and hold for ten/15 secs longer if i can and keep doing this. I push back of knee into seat or bed whereever i am. it seems to be getting better. I had my post op check last week and consultant was happy with me, I have 125+ bend (which has only come in last eeks, it just got better ll of a sudden)  and he said to keep trying to straighten it as it would. come. Be patient, it wll come xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Just keep working on the exercises they give you, I do the rolled up towel

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

One exercise I did with or was to take a canvas shopping bag with 3 cans of veggies - loop in on my ankle and prop my foot into a coffee table. The weight of the bag would straighten my knee/leg. I had improvement each week. Try this.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I did something similar to Mary Ann.  I put a five pound weight in a small plastic bag and looped it over my foot, hanging it from the area just above the scar.  Then I extended my leg with my foot on another chair.  The goal was to keep that position as long as possible and let gravity do the work.  Much less painful than pushing down on the leg.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne, not been for physio yet, as only 12 days post surgery, so on this occasion sorry can't help. On the plus side the bend seems pretty good, you sound determined to get flexion, just remember baby steps, good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne I am also 7 weeks po and have the same problem I have been putting my foot up on a rolled up towel and letting the knee drop and hold for as long as possible have been told to do this as often as possible it is frustrating especially as I didn't have this problem with the first knee
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up