Getting off venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive decided to stop taking it. Cold Turkey 150mg.

I can't handle the night sweats and being flat all the time.

It's been 4 days and I have found I'm very nauseous, dizzy, head aches, and sweating and have a constant temperature.

I'm getting off this completely. I need to.

I want to exercise to substitute however the side effects from coming off this drug are full on.

I am going to keep you posted on this.

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Your need for this medication will still be present by stoping medication. Changing physicians may be the proper protocal. Stoping antidepressants cold turkey, not only has side effects but can cause severe deep depression. I tried this and wound up in the hospital after an overdose. Your condition may be totally different. I too have taken meds that had terrible, even severe side effects and finding your match for proper treating usually follows trying several options. Iam sorry your so uncomfortable and truly want you to get the correct treatment. SOON
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This was an ill-advised move. You really need to come off this drug gradually. The withdrawals are worse than most people would imagine, particularly the constant vertigo. I thought I was going to die it was so bad.

Eventually, I managed to get a prescription for Fluoxetine (Prozac) that helped to mitigate the withdrawal from Venlafaxine, but not before going through hell. 

The GP responsible failed to advise me of proper dosing and intervals, and so I was getting withdrawals every day even though I was taking Venlafaxine daily, because the dose was not spaced out enough, or high enough to cover a 24hr period without withdrawals.

I knew I was taking the prescribed drug, and I knew I felt awful, what I didn't realise was that I was experiencing withdrawals on a 24 cycle.

I couldn't get an appointment because I was away from home, and the whole world was spinning. It was a nightmare. I'll never touch Venlafaxine again, and the experience has made me more wary of presciptions. Now, I read up about stuff before taking it, even if the doctor says it's fine.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was on it for just over a year, for a year at 225mg.

I the last two months I was having a hard time remembering to take it; as a result I was feeling the withdrawal side effects when not taking it in a timely manner

I decided to get off of it.

I was taking 2 pills, 1-150mg and 1-75mg. I was taking it in the evening.

How I did it was to go as long as I could -a day or 2 then take the higher dosage pill only. I did this for a couple of weeks. Then I started to take the 75mg pill, once again spacing it out as long as I could.

Once I was getting down in current prescription I went to the physician and asked for a refill, to taper off.

I did the same thing with the 37.5 mg pill, go as long as I could without it then took one.

It didn't take too long before I rid myself if them.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up