Getting ready for hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm getting ready for hip replacement and am totally petrified. The surgeon is only 42 . I've got a book of exercises and have ordered a few pillows but it seems like some articles say you can never bend or twist again and other articles say you should be able to do most things after 6 months without dislocating your hip. I live alone and am worried. I love to garden. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sandy, are u in pain now?  Do you want to live pain free?  If so then get the hip replacement.  You will be so much happier.  I don't know where u live, how old you are or how active you are but most all hip replacement patients end up with a better quality of life than before the surgery.  I was in so much pain I could hardly do anything before my surgery.  I was using crutches to get around.  My hip was bone on bone and I,couldn't play tennis, run, bike ride or even walk at the end.  I had the anterior hip surefery and was walking in the Hospital 6 hours after surgery and went home the same day.  after one week I was walking with a cane, driving at two weeks. I was completely off of pain medication after 1 1\2 weeks.  I have slowly gotten back to my regular day to day activities.  I am 7 weeks out of surgery and was able to swim 40 laps this week.  I am going to Physical Therapy 2x a week and doing my exercises religiously.  The other day I was at Walmart and had an epiphany- I was able to shop with NO PAIN.  It is nice to have my life back!!

• Posted

Thanks for replying so fast Stacey and you are a godsend to bring me back to earth. I'm in intense pain and it has been the very worst over the last 2 years . I actually have some cysts and deformity on my bones. I'm interested in your physical therapy. The surgeon only mentioned 4 weeks of therapy for me but I want lots of therapy.  I am 60 years old. Do you bend down to the floor now? If I wanted to pull weeds from my garden would the healthcare people tell me not to after about 3 months of recovery? Being pain free would be a dream 

• Posted

I'm not sure what type of surgery you will be having.  If you have the posterior method there is a 90 degree restriction.  I'm not sure how long.  My anterior surgery had no 90 degree retstriction, but I was not allowed to cross my leg.  I had to sleep on my back or on non-operated side with pillow between my legs. For the first 6 weeks I had to take it pretty easy, only ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, or walk about 1 to 2 miles.  You will get tired.  

Right now I can bend down to the ground, put my clothes and shoes on with no problem.  Does that answer your question.

• Posted

i am also 60 years old, but in pretty good shape.  Try to keep your muscles strong before surgery, it will help with recovery.  I could only swim when I got closer to surgery, everything else was really painful.  So I swam 4 or 5 times a week.  It must have helped because My recovery is progressing nicely.
    • Posted

Sandy

As Stacey says most of us have a very successful outcome. I have gardened, cycled and done all sorts of things with my hip. I've just had revision surgery due to an infection and am expecting to be back to normal activities in three months.

Mike

• Posted

Sandy...I'm 23 days postop...my surgeon couldn't be much older than your surgeon...I stopped my pain meds on day 8...have been doing pt since the beginning and exercises at home...I use a cane just to get started walking...I had the anterior approach. ..I was worried about my surgeon at the beginning but so far it's been a success. ..good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. A young surgeon will see better and be stronger ha! Maybe that trumps older 
  • Posted

dear sandy, 

warm welcome to the best hippies forum - here we share personal experiences and stories, you'll get  unconditional support, tips etc. We come in all ages and stages, darling ...

when is your surgery scheduled for?

I personally think that 42 years is a perfect age for a surgeon - he is not too youg but yet young enough to know about the latest procedures - Not too old and set in his ways biggrin - I am kidding of course - 

Do you like him, trust him? 

One of our fellow forum members has created a website based on feedback from forum members... go to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources- scroll all the way down until you get to 487147, A layman;s Guide by Graham aka Rocketman -

And of course come here any time - you are not alone anymore

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I'm now 3 months and one week in the healing process.  One month ago I was still having pain in groin and thigh.  I stayed in bed so I wouldn't use the operated leg took Advil 3 times a day and used the ice pack regularly.  Seems to have worked.  Walked into surgeons office for my last appt. he released me to do what ever I wanted to do, as long as I carefully do it!  I began my garden work bending slowly and was able to get it done, no pain!  First time in 3 years.  You will do great, have faith!

• Posted

Sandy my surgeon was in his early 40's absolutely fantastic. Caring and agreatsense of humour. Once you are healed you will be able to do most things. Mine said never cross leg fully cross knee. That's the only restriction. I still bend carefully out of habit. 21 months post op and was in my mid50's when I had op. 

• Posted

Dear Sandy,

Don't worry everything will be ok...

i had this operation from both of my legs.

The first 6 weeks is the most risky period, after that you can return to your daily routine.

My surgeon Said no restrictions after week 8, if you feel well of course.

I Hope you will have a good operation and a pleasant recovery.

All the best

Desire

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. My main worry is hip displacement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.