GETTING TO THE END OF MY TETHER

Posted , 11 users are following.

I started symptons of Reflux Oesophagitis at the beginning of April (Easter Sunday) and still have the same symptons.   I have been in hospital for a week after not eating and drinking for a month and finally had to be put on a drip.

I am back home now and have been prescribed Lansoparole.    These really do not do anything for me.   I still wake up every morning feeling thirsty, I now have a cough, I have a kind of fizzy taste in my mouth permanently and my taste buds are all to pot.

When on earth will all this just go away.

Does anyone ever get any better?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

try 170g carnation evaporated milk every morning this how i get better on my acid reflux just avoid eating beef and wheat
    • Posted

That is one that I have not heard of before.

My GP is very much against milk as he says that encourages the stomach to make acid but perhaps carnation is different.

• Posted

Is it a known fact that wheat affects acid reflux because i thought i was wheat intollerant and have been cutting out all wheat products
    • Posted

Sorry but wheat doesn't affect everyone. There are many foods people say trigger reflux, what I have found battling this condition for 10 years is that you have to learn what triggers reflux for you and we are all different.

• Posted

Seems that everyones triggers and cures are different and most should be taken with a spoonfull of sugar or a pinch of salt.
    • Posted

Hi mel 56362  ,    we mainly live on chicken and fish.  I am sure we will start clucking one day.     I will get some evap and give it a go.
    • Posted

do it as soon as possible if you want your acid reflux dissapear. i was taking ranitidine for 2months, my vision went worse after 2months of medication i still have the acid reflux i have to wait 5weeks for my next appointment  i was so depress i dont know what to do... that day i decided to take evap. as soon as i drunk it i can feel the acid went down. so far, i dont take any medication only evap
    • Posted

Going to Morrisons this morning and will get a tin.     Do you take it by the teaspoon, or do you drink a glass of it.   I am not a lover of milk in the first place but will try anything.
    • Posted

pour it in the glass 170g evap and drink it simple as that
  • Posted

yeah you are right milk encourage the stomach more acid but it is really  happening to me my acid reflux is gone. drink evap milk after after 1 hour drink glass of water and after that make your tummy rumbling all your acid in the tummy will flush out in the toilet it make your bowel loose. just try it. 
  • Posted

What dose Lanzaporole? I was started on 15mg but it did nothing for me, 30mg does.

When I started Lanzoprole it took about 4-5 weeks for my body to feel the benefits, its not a drug where you take it once and you feel better. What you describbe could be nothing to do with the drugs you are taken but because you ended up in hospital and now the body has to adjust again to eating.

I manage my reflux which us eto be pretty bad by lanzoprozle which for me has been a life changer, taking care with what I eat so I avoid acidic foods, I don't eat late and eat regularly. comeents you will hear many people make. I also have my bed raised at an amgle with bricks

Sounds like you need to go and see your GP and discuss your problems and see what they recommend

• Posted

Hi Wknight,

May I ask how long you use this PPI's? and have you noticed any side effect?

My problem is my LES which doesnt close good and I suffer for almost a year.

I am a bit afraid of using PPI's and try to use antiacids and Ranitidine.

But I dont eat many things and its very annoying! I just want to eat normal again but its not possible sad

• Posted

I suffered for about 20 yrs and in the end Gaviscon didn't work. It was then a new GP put me on the PPI. Been taking that now for 10 yrs and it has changed my life. Had periodic endscopy to ensure no other problems and none so far. No side effects from the PPI, I would worry more about being a passenger in a car than taking a PPI. Its changed my life and I can eat virtually normal so I am a huge fan of the PPI.
    • Posted

Thank you for your answer.

May I ask what is the cause of your reflux?

and can you also eat trigger foods and drink trigger drinks like alcohol and coffee?

I travel a lot and my problem is that I cannot find a good food to eat during the trips in restaurants which makes me very depressed!

• Posted

As far as I can tell my problem stems from the fact that my body produces way too much acid and the PPI reduces that. I use to have a job where I travelled all the time so my problem was compounded by not eating regularly which makes it worse for me. I do know that acidic foods are not good sych as orange juice and oranges I only eat on a full stomach. I also avoid very spicy food. I don't drink coffee or alcohol so can't answer to that but since taking the PPI I can tolerate way more foods than I use to be able to. I do know that overeating is not good at all.

I would try out the PPI, it does take about 4 weeks for me to kick in and we had to play with the dose because the initial dose was too low and did nothing.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you.

I also began for 4 months with PPI, didnt have any acid but I had excessive gas in my esophagus and throat and also nausea.

Now i just try to take medication if needed, but still nausea and full feeling after eating. My GP said it will be like this but I hope I can get  totally well again.

• Posted

Hi wknight - I am on 15 mg a day,  they did up it to the 30mg but it made me worse, so I am back down to 15mg a day.     You say 4 - 5 weeks before you feel the benefits and now I am beginning to see that.   Doctor has told me to stay on them for 3 months.   So I am plodding on doing as I am told (for a change) and hoping and praying that one day I can wake up and not only smell the coffee but be able to taste it to along with the rest of the food I make.

I appreciate your reply.

• Posted

Dixieb,

I can tell you that 6 months ago I thought I never can have coffee again, and today I just drank a cup of coffee without worrying about it.

You can drink coffee again, dont worry.

• Posted

Normally I can drink coffee but twice I had terrible heartburn right after having coffee months apart at the same venue. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said that they cannot be roasting it properly.
    • Posted

Hi I have been told to take them for 3 months.    I dont think there is any hard and fast rule, have you seen the Doc?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.