Girlfriend sectioned. Can't cope.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My girlfriend was detained under section 2 a couple of weeks ago after she tried to kill herself. I have been visiting her every day but since they did a drugs test on her and found cannabis in her system we have to be supervised because they think I have been sneaking her it. We smoked it daily for months so it will be in her system for weeks but they still think I gave her some the other day. The last time we were supervised she got stressed out and 2 hours after I left got out of the clinic and ran away. I don't know what to do. If i visit her she will get stressed and run away. If i dont it'll tare us both apart.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Give her  a bit of space to recover and work on your addiction problems in the mean time.  
  • Posted

thats a tough one. I wouldn't visit her, if its going to cause her a huge amount of stress and and make her run away...i dont think you want her to run away, or even stress her out for that matter. right?

and you guys dont want to be apart. can you stay connected if you use a phone or perhaps text?  i know it doesn't come close to actually being together, but maybe it's the next best thing. i am thinking maybe you could give her a little space until she wants to see you, be patient. wait for her to tell you when to go visit. hopefully it wont take forever until you both are together again.

• Posted

Hi did you know the use of canabbis can if not cause then certainly exacerbate mental health problems?   Not only that as it is stronger than normal cigarettes it can give you lung disease like COPD?  (chronic obstructive lung disease)

If you are addicted to it you need to work on giving it up.  I must admit I did use it occasionally when I was younger (like many did) but certainly not on a daily basis,  or even a monthly one.  It can mess up your brain cells.   There is a reason it is an illegal drug you know.   x

• Posted

I had a friend who tried to kill herself and had the same reaction when her husband would visit.  He finally stopped going per her doc and she did have time for therapy and to get on a better course.  Hang in there, let her know you love her and that you will be there when she gets out.  Reassurance is the best thing you can give to her right now.
  • Posted

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I have decided it's best not to visit for a while. I'll continue to call her and give her support. It's depressing not seeing her but I understand it's what's best for her recovery.
  • Posted

The staff on that ward sound slack and unprofessional. Your girlfriend shouldn't be able to run away if she is detained under the mental health act. If anything had happened to her you would have been well within your rights to sue them. I think you should write a letter of complaint to the nurse in charge of the ward. Your girlfriend should have been asked to provide a urine specimen for drug screening as soon as she arrived on the ward, so that they know what is in her system. That is standard practice, or it should be. 

Seriously, it wouldn't hurt to write a letter pointing out their failings, with the urine testing and allowing her to escpape. Those are big failings. Don't be aggressive in the letter, just point out that you think they've made mistakes and that as a consequence your girlfriends recovery is being compromised. 

I know how these places work though and I'd be surprised if they even apologised.

maybe you should stick to phone calls for a while. I hope things work out for you both.

• Posted

Thanks Jack. The clinic allowed her 30 minutes leave with her Grandma, that's when she ran away but yes some of the staff are slack.

They did a urine test when she was first taken in and found cannabis. Because she has been quite confused I have answered a lot of the nurses questions and been completely honest about everything. It just seems to be one nurse who keeps thinking I am bringing her drugs.

I think I might do as you suggested and write a letter, after doing some research I have found so many complaints about this particular clinic.

Thanks.

• Posted

That's really a sad experience sad

Wish she'll comeback in right way. Right now you need to take care her. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.