Given in and seen my GP today

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, my first post on here and I have to say I feel better having read all your posts. Thanks for sharing your stories xx

It takes a lot for me to go to the doctor's, and even sat there today trying to explain all my symptoms I kept wishing I wasn't there!

I'm 56 and I had a hysterectomy when I was 40 but still have my ovaries. I've been having hot flushes for about 4 years and I thought I was coping ok until this year. I have so many more symptoms now, mainly fatigue, anxiety, headaches, times when I feel as though I'm on a different planet (brain fog?) and unable to cope. I also have vaginal dryness and it's affecting my sex life with my partner. We've only been together a few years and although I've told him it's due to the menopause, I'm feeling guilty and even more anxious.

So, the doctor told me the options and I have another appointment in a couple of weeks to tell her whether or not I want to take oestrogen or antidepressants!! I'm favouring oestrogen tablets., the thought of antidepressants terrifies me.

I'll let you know how I get on.

4 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorri keep us posted. I’m 49 and there are some days I feel 89. Xx
  • Posted

Hi lorri.  This is all so hard.  You have really toughed it out.  Please let us know what you decide and how it goes for you
  • Posted

Hi Lorri, in my experience I started peri with extreme anxiety that came from out of the blue, I know that hormone fluctuations cause seratonin levels in the brain to fall, this in turn causes nervousness anxiety and depression, I'm on antidepressants, because I know all they do is stop the seratonin in the brain from diminishing, so it takes time for them it to be restored, I've been on antidepressants now for 5 months and I feel almost normal again on the anxiety/ depression part of this, I hope I find a relief either way x

• Posted

Good for you ! I hate going to drs and hardly ever went in the past .... lately I’ve seen 3 different ones ! And yes I went on the estrogen patch mainly for the debilitating fatigue and depression. The hot flashes and sweats I did get but not too bad however the patch stops all of those  if that’s your major problem .

Still waiting for it to kick in with the mood and fatigue . 

• Posted

Thanks all, it really helps reading about your experiences. 

My work colleague was prescribed Prozac and she felt terrible so stopped taking it after a few weeks. I guess we're all different and it's a case of finding what works for you. 

Having someone understanding to talk it through with is a big help xx

• Posted

Ah hi lori...like you id the same hysterectomy 10 years ago this sept and like you ive many symptoms and at times found it difficult to cope with...i think it hits us worse....im on hrt oestrogen ...it does get easier as our bodies readjust so take care and tell all to your gp...all the best with the appointment and keep checking in here for support. CK
  • Posted

Hi all, I thought it was about time I updated this.

I've been taking oestrogen tablets since September, 1mg a day. They did make some difference in that the sweats and flushes stopped and the vaginal dryness improved, and I don't feel as tired/ exhausted. I do get a lot of headaches, but I've always suffered with headaches & occasional migraine. I also still have anxiety issues and often feel as though I'm not in control!

I had a 3 month review with my GP and said I would continue taking the tablets for a few more months and she told me to wean myself off them. I now take a tablet every other day and my next review with her is in September.

So from my point of view they've helped but not solved all the issues! Hopefully things will improve in their own time - I'd love to cut my working hours and reduce the stress, haha!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.