Giving up on getting better!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have made a previous post about antidepressants and how they are not working on me,my doctor now has put me on another set! (Fourth one now) and honestly o just feel like giving up now!

I am a lot better than I was last year but still just want to get rid of this,I don’t want to just transfer to new ones if these don’t work I want to actually trial them for a long time! And increase dosage if they don’t! Can someone advise me on how long it took them to find good antidepressant as now I feel like I’m losing hope! And will never get better ?!! 

Please someone just rest my mind.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been on 3 different types and dosages of antidepressants and the ones I'm on now are 100mg of Sertraline I was on 50mg but they weren't good enough for me. if you haven't already i do recommend Sertraline and the doctors will start you off possibly on 50mg and if they don't work they will increase it. 

Hope this helps 

• Posted

Hi Tim, take it from someone who has taken anti depressants once and was forgotten. I shouted at my doctor who offered me anti depressants as I told her I'd never take them. I really struggle with my physical health and that's when my mental health worsens but all of this was sparked by assault which was ignored. It's tough but the correct counsellor is now getting at both my physical and mental health and are breaking them along with a different doctor. Say a really firm no to your doctor and wean yourself off them. Good luck it will be tough but worth it!

• Posted

Like you. I cant find an antidepressant that I can tolerate..The last one I was given was lexapro. took one that night and 2 hours later I was shouting at my Hubby that I hated him.and my 2 daughters...I felt really agressive...and I know it was the med..next day I was so sick...this is about 5 A/Ds that I have tried..so I have lost hope too...I had so many bad effects with these meds that I am afraid to take even a vitamin tablet now...A/Ds dont work for everyone..My take is..if you dont feel some change after 6 to 8 weeks ..Then they are not working. Let me know if you find one that works for you..mayby I would get lucky too...x
    • Posted

Im in same place, tried so many without success. Its as if my body wont tolerate them. Between the ones thatbgave me nausea, agitation etc. I am done. I have anxiety too which is controlled with diazepam, i dont want to take it either but need some advice to stop. Anyone out there help?
    • Posted

Dark chocolate is good for depression and I've not just plucked that from thin air, a dietitian told me that, the higher the cocoa solids the better it is, it's cheaper and doesn't have many side effects. I won't take antibiotics I point blank refuse to. The last time years ago I was dumped on them and left on them. Good luck, you're doing the right thing speaking to people.

• Posted

SSRI medication works very well if low serotonin is the cause of your depression. For me it was, and within 2-3 weeks of taking 20 mg/day of Paxil 25 years ago I started feeling much better. It was like night and day improvement.

But, if low serotonin is not the cause of your depression SSRI medication won't do anything for you. In fact, it might give you more anxiety. It all depends on the root cause of your depression.

That's why I always advise folks suffering from Anxiety/Depression to attack it with the 'Big 5'-Therapy, medication (if necessary), exercise, diet, rest. You should know within 3-4 weeks top if an SSRI medication is going to help you or not.

• Posted

Hi Phil, why oh why does every person go on about ssri's, what do they do that is so brilliant? Why are there never any comments on the alternatives you could use! Not just you but everyone on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.