Glans penis is very bright pink, shiny and oversensitive when the foreskin is pulled back

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI, 

I'm worried I could have candida, especially seeing other topics here. 

I'm uncircumcized and I think this could be causing it. When I pull back the foreskin, I can see my glans penis is very pink (but sometimes not), shiny and it is oversensitive to touch.    

I also often feel itching underneath the foreskin. 

I was wondering if this is candida?   (I wasn't sure and was also wondering to post in the dermatitis forum.)   

Also should I buy an anti-fungal cream and apply it?  

Thanks,

Jonathan 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I added some photos although it's a bit embarrassing. 

Usually my foreskin is covering the glans (which I think could have caused the problem if it's a candida infection?).   When I pull back the foreskin (and it can be itchy underneath), the glans of the penis is very very bright pink (it looks more pink in real life, than in the photos). 

When I pull back the foreskin,the whole glans is reddish or pink and very sensitive.  Is this caused by the fungal infection? And how long does this last?  

But it's pink especially around the ridge at the bottom of the glans.  Here it's bright pink and too sensitive. 

How shall I treat this? Should I buy an antifungal cream?   Or an eczema cream?  

Also why is it so red about the right of the glans?  I hope it's possible to see in the photos the band of redness at the base of the glans (at its edge)?  

Report Reply
  • Posted

That is very red. It looks sore. Try some antifungal cream e.g. canestan and see if that helps. You should feel some relief pretty soon if it is Candida infection. If it makes you more sore stop using it and go see the dr.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, thanks so much. 

I didn't notice the colour before because it is usually covered by the foreskin. But it's bright pink which I don't think it normal. 

It doesn't feel sore, but it is oversensitive to touch, 

If it's candida (I know it's not possible to diagnose on the internet). What cream do you recommend to try?  And is it OK to apply in this area? 

I'll also ask in the dermatological section,

Thanks again,

Jonathan 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Ok I've bought Nizoral today. It's a shampoo that contains ketoconazole (an antifungal agent). 

I'm going to wash under the foreskin three times a week with the Nizoral, and report back if it improves next week. 

Otherwise (if the Nizoral doesn't work) I think it could be eczema or an allergy? 

Report Reply
    • Posted

I wouldn’t use shampoo on your penis. It will contain detergents that will aggravate the infection (if it is a Candida infection). While you have this infection you need to treat your penis very gently. No sex, no masturbation, no soap (just wash with pure water).

You need to get some anti fungal cream designed for use on the genitals. Do you live in the UK? In the U.K. was use canestan cream (clotrimazole). An alternative, which works very well, is to take a single oral fluconazole tablet (150mg).

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Suki, 

Thanks for the message - you were the most helpful person on this issue. I put the Nizoral shampoo on last night, to wash under my foreskin. But only for a short time. 

The colour of the glans seems possibly less pink today (I'm not completely sure).  Or if it's just placebo. Although the band at the edge of the glans is still reddish.

Thanks for the warning about using shampoo. I was wondering that it could be irritating or stinging.  I'll try to buy the cream this afternoon.  

I'll try to compare pictures every few days to see if it's improving. (Or if it's not candida). 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Comparing to the palm of my hand, it's still very very pink though. And with a reddish band on the edge of the glans. 

I'll see if this improves with the cream this week, as normally it's covered by the foreskin. 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Comparing the colour to the back of the hand.  It is obvious that the colour is not normal.   (I'll keep checking to see if it improves). 

Report Reply
    • Posted

I wouldn’t check it so often - it can become a bit of an obsession. Apply the cream and leave on overnight then check the next morning. You need to use the cream for 10 days to ensure the infection is completely cleared up (if it is Candida) and avoid anything that may aggravate. Candida is more likely in men with a foreskin. 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Suki, 

Thanks again for the advice. 

I'll buy the canestan cream now in town, and put it on at night, and only check the next day to compare.

After I apply the cream, should I put the foreskin back to cover it? . 

Anyway, I'll see how the cream works and if this is the issue.

Best, 

Jonathan 

Report Reply
    • Posted

There is a tendency to get obsessed with checking and wondering ‘is that how it normally looks?’

Yes, cover with the foreskin after applying the cream 2-3 times a day, otherwise it rubs off onto your underwear / bed / pjs.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Suki, 

Thanks so much. Yes I'm easily worried. Also I usually don't pull back the foreskin, so I'm not that sure how it's supposed to look.  

I've bought the Canesten cream and explained the reason to the pharmacist.  They said it's safe anyway, so even if it isn't a fungal issue, there's no problem to trying even in this area. 

I'll put it on tonight and won't check/update until tomorrow. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yeah, the cream is safe. It shouldn’t case any problem she even if you don’t have Candida infection. My hubby uses it even if he has a slight itch, just in case. He was having similar problems to you until I told him to stop using fragranced soaps and shower washes. He now uses a pure unscented organic soap for his body and only washes this penis (under the foreskin) with pure water. Soap is totally the wrong PH (skin is acidic, soap is alkaline) and can mess up the natural balance of the flora on sensitive skin. He was also using hand gel at work and then going for a pee and holding himself - you don’t want to get harsh hand gel on your penis. He also applies coconut oil - it is soothing and is naturally anti bacterial and anti fungal. He puts it on the end and covers it with his foreskin. You should be washing under your foreskin to stop build up of bacteria or Candida, just with pure water. You could then apply some coconut oil (but obviously not while using the canestan cream).
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Suki, 

Thanks again for the useful advice.   

I applied it last night, and washed it off in the morning without looking closely.   Maybe something is improving, as I didn't feel any itchiness.

I think I'll compare the colour again on Friday, and maybe try to compare pictures.

It's interesting to hear about your husband. Did he have similar symptoms and a similar colour as mine?  

Also thanks for mentioning about the irritation from soaps. That could also be the issue, I was wondering about that.

I never pulled back the foreskin until recently, but since then I was washing it with soap sometimes.  Maybe this irritated it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice again!  

All the best,

Jonathan

Report Reply
    • Posted

I've been applying the (Canesten) anti-fungal cream, semi regularly now (not always remembering, but a few times per week).

All symptoms of itchiness have gone away, so perhaps it has improved the situation.

However, I'm not sure if the colour has improved? It is still quite reddish and especially with reddish band near the edge?

So I'm guessing the candida is not the culprit? It could be another kind!of dermatological issue?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Report Reply
    • Posted

looks a lot better to me. have you used the canestan twice a day for 10 days? That should clear up the thrush. then to sooth and get rid of remaining redness apply coconut oil.

Report Reply
    • Posted

looks a lot better to me. have you used the canestan twice a day for 10 days? That should clear up the thrush. then to sooth and get rid of remaining redness apply coconut oil.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up