God knows, new to depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with depression. Prescribed Amitriptyline, what makes me laugh as it was prescribed from a doctor that didn`t ask many questions about me (I have re-lotcated) he doesn`t know me, my past my previous health records. Just for the record I haven`t had a past of depression but I have a lot of reasons to why I am depressed. So, I look at the prescription sitting on my table, then I google research what they are, then I google reseach...what if I took them all. Discover that if I mix it with other prescribed drugs then the end result is basically the end. NOW I really don`t want things to be an end, BUT when we are down that might possibly be an answer. I`m up and down at the moment, it may be because I`m Peri-Menopuase, maybe depressed, maybe a mixture of the both. What shocked me is how a doctor that doesn`t know me can just happily prescribe anti-depressants without talking to me and knowing nothing about me. So I look at these tablets, I look at my life and think this is an easy way out, nobody bloody cares to take 20 minutes out of there life to listen, there again doctors financially don`t have the time. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Diane first of all shame on that doctor that is unbelievable!! Second of all if you are perimenopause its a very good possibility that's where the depression kicks in. I haven't been diagnosed as perimenopause but being 47 and the symptoms I have been experiencing I am sure that I am. And depression and bad anxiety are just a couple of many symptoms that I experience. This might not help you out much. Try and find another doctor that will actually take the time to ask you questions. Good luck to you. And please  don't think about doing the unthinkable its not worth it. I lost my sister this pass June due to that, my whole family was devastated. Hope you feel better smile
    • Posted

Thanks Donna. It was just unbelievable that the doctor didn`t ask anything about me nor my past...and god do I have a past. That sounds awful, my past is a bit wierd. I don`t want to sound pathetic as I am not a pathetic needy woman I`m at the point that I need to talk. Hormones all over the place, my life is all over the place, lots of sh*t bottled up that is now coming to the front. I take it the bloody hormones are doing this. Thanks for your feedback. P.S I`m not a needy person just a little lost at the mo x 
    • Posted

Donna I am so very sorry about your sister.  That is a very hard thing to live with.  It is those left behind who have to live with it.  I do hope you can come through this grief and illness and will feel better soon.

Take care

• Posted

Hello diane that's what all of us are here for.Say what you need to. I haven't came across anyone on here that's judgmental and if they ever do well shame on them. Everbody goes through something none of are perfect. I heard this saying once it said everyone has a chapter in their lives they don't wanna open. You should also check out the perimenopause forum group the ladies in there are great. I wish you well come back and vent as much as you need to.
  • Posted

Hey Diana....I am sorry about what s going on.....but humans can only do so much......everyone makes mistakes.....they might not realize it.....plus Don bring yourself to the end.....its not worth it.....you are unique and no one can ever replace you.....there are people who care so much about you.....how would they feel If you decided that's it is the end.....how would you feel if you are in their situation....you love them and you would always care about them.....no matter what you are feeling.....stay strong....these things take time.....I can't say it will be easy but what I can say is that it is going to be worth it.....and always remember that there is one person who would always listen....and always care and will never leave you....and that us God....he is the only one who would completely understand us....so let Him help You....stay safe....Jesus loves you....how are you doing??
  • Posted

Don't take the easy way out u will get better u just got to be a little stronger for a while x
    • Posted

Thanks Emily, I will I always do. Just in a bad place at the moment, must be bad if I`m on a forum lol x
  • Posted

My depression when I was going through the menopause.  I was in my early 40s at the time.

I think that doctor was really remiss, and I don't blame you for feeling angry.  I suppose they just get blase sometimes and dish out pills as it is the easiest thing to do.  Don't dwell on it, if you can let it go, and say it was just one lousy doctor. 

No of course you don't want things to be at an end.  Perhaps you need to take those tablets and see if they help with how you are feeling.  There is no excuse for that doctor's behaviour. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.