Going back on citalopram, worried??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 19 year old male who has been suffering with anxiety for last three years. I am 6ft at 70kg, i used to do alot of running and some gym but due to recent anxious ordeals i have had to stop. The last month has been crippling for me, i have ended up in hospitial once and went to the doctors three times all with the same result anxiety with releated slightly high blood pressure 140/75.

I have chronic fear and anxiousness from the point i wake up to the point i go to sleep. I am constantly worrying about everything, my heart, my relationship, my job, my college work, every little detail in my life i somehow flip into something of concern. I've tried being healthy, eating very nutriutent dense foods, exercising (which scares me for most of the time i am doing it, because of cardiovasular fear) and mediatation so far nothing has worked.

Which brings me to my question should i go back on citalopram?? I was on it for 6 months from june 2014 till the start of jan 2015 and everything went great. I did lose the ability to climax but at this point to get my life together, it's worth it. I would just like some advice on what it is like going back, such as are the side effects the same, does it hit the system quicker, does it protrude the same result.

A side question aswell, when i'm at the doctors and i get that blood pressure result because i'm anxious. does that not mean i have blood pressure since i'm anxious all the time and in some cases worse when i'm not in the doctors. Is my anxiety literally killing me??

Thanks everyone for your answers smile

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you are also suffering from anxiety. I took citalopram for 18 months and decided to come off them. I got down to 5mg every third day and couldn't cope. Going back on them was hard for me a lot worse than before. The dude effects lasted for 3 weeks, I'm now in to my 5th week and not feeling any improvement. My doctor is reluctant to increase my dose to 20mg because of all the side effects.

Like you they did help me before so I'm hoping they will do again in time.

Do what you feel is right for you at this point in your life.

In regards to your blood pressure it can go up when you visit the doctors, my pulse always does.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This was happening to me. Everything was a mountain. Waking up at 4 every morn. No one to talk to as they are all happily sleeping. I put myself back on 10 and 2 weeks later doc pushed it up to 20. All settling down nicely now. I have just faced the facts. I'm poorly. Take the pills.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have recently upped my Citalopram to 30mg and it's working little my little. Defo go for it. The first week will be hard as you prob know but once the side affects fade you will be back to your old self x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well what does a female Dr know about citalaopram and being able to climax? And come to think of it what do Dr's know about the side effects of these drugs full stop! Yes, citalopram does contain bromide, which does affect the male sex drive....it has/did with me. I'm on 20mg, from 30mg and am told this is a mild dose....dunno what do you guys think?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up