Going back to work

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, Im nearly 3 months post op, after having both feet operated on, and going back to work on the 27th June for half a day. Ive managed to purchase some comfy trainers, not really appropriate for my job, but I have no other option and needs most. Im lucky that my employer has agreed with occupational advice to let me go back half days for a month. My feet are still slightly swollen and become alot worse if I walk long distances or on my feet for long periods. My scares still have some dry patches on them but all in all I rarely get any pain more aching on prolonged periods of movement, especially my right foot.

The only thing I am worried about is, and I know this sounds silly, that they might come back and I will have to go through this again. I read that they can. I frightened to wear shoes for to long in case they push my toes back to where they were and I end up with bunions again. I dont think I could go through all that again.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katherine , hope you get on ok , I think I'm going back to work on5 th July my foot still she's and swells but my GP told me it's all in my head! I'm worried to as I'm a delivery driver and when I change gear my foot hurts using the clutch , I have to squeeze feet into work boots so really worried too , I have to have other foot done at later date , going to see consultant about that at end of July . But don't think I will have it done till new year time as I have nearly used all my sick leave up on this one , good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Happyface, thanksfor reply. How can it be all in your head ? I suppose you have to wear work boots for your line of work, I have though seen trainer type shoes with toe caps, if thats what you need to wear. Do they supply your foot wear ? Ive driven a few times lately and my right foot gets quite sore using the excelerator, that is a worry for me on returning to work. I have to drive alot of the city streets so its a lot of stopping and starting. Could you see your GP and see if they can say you are fit to return to work but with conditions ie foot wear, distance you can drive ect. Let me know how things are going. Take care xxx
  • Posted

Hi Katherine

Bunion operations have a high success rate. Surgeons always seem to stress possible negative outcomes lest they get sued. However, as I had explained to me people with longish big toes are more prone to bunions. They are the last toe to leave the ground when you are walking and consequently are under more stress, resulting in inflammation and bone spurs. It therefore makes sense to try to minimize that stress by wearing shoes with flatter heels which will reduce the forward weight on the toe. I am 18 weeks post scarf osteotomy. The swelling under my foot has reduced considerably in the last month. It is important to keep manually moving your toe to regain its full range of movement. I stopped for a while and it became a little more uncomfortable to walk on. Since doing this regularly and being quite forceful with it I have considerably less discomfort. Cushioned pads under the ball of the foot which you can get from Boots have also helped. Good luck with your recovery.

Bill

• Posted

Hello Katherine.

First of all, let me say, Well Done You!

Can I recommend Waldlaufer footwear. They have some very comfortable but supportive sandals whch don't make you look like a senior citizen. Also, they have good range of shoes and I have a pair of their trainer shoes as I like  walking and need to replace my current walking Brasher boots as they're shot at and, as they are not as comfortable as they were, but am reluctant to do this until I've had my other foot done. The Waldlaufer are so comfortable and have been well worth the cost of £80. The sandals are extremely comfortable also and they cost me £59.99. I think their whole sandals range is priced at this one amount.

Don't be afraid of wearing shoes as long as they're not heeled shoes. I always wear ballet flats/pumps and loafer styles and have many pairs of Gabor shoes as they are so comfortable and mine are a G Fitting so there's plenty of room for the toes. But be aware that until your feet want to bend properly, and they'll be quite stiff as mine were, you may find it not very easy. In which case, don't force your feet into shoes until you and they are able to do so with ease. It does take time and patience but don't give up hope. It will come. Can I also suggest if you're concerned that your toes are in danger of 'slipping back' you should buy some gel toe spacers. My consultant actually gave me some in January ( I had my bunion and hammertoe done 27 November 2013; I'm 64 and I live in West Yorkshire) and I still wear the spacer if I feel I want to ( rather than have the need to). They're widely available from pharmacies and supermarkets. I think when you do wear shoes  place a toe spacer between the big and 2nd toes. I am sure you'll be absolutely fine. The toe spacers are very comfortable to wear also.

I can understand your concern that your bunions may return but, ike me, you have probably been told by your consultant that this does sometimes happens but rarely. I guess the key to avoiding this is to follow the instruction and guidance your consultant has given to you. Also, read The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital's leaflet 'A Patients Guide to Bunions ( Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformities'. It's very helpful and I have suggested this to many people who use this forum and they've responded that it has been very useful.

Good Luck when you return to work and be prepared for the throbbing in the feet if they're down for to long. In which case get a chair or stool and if possible place it under your desk or wherever you sit to do your job, and then you can raise your foot when the need arises.

Gillian.  P.S. I am having my other foot done in September as I feel that without it the condition will never improve and I am pleased with the result on my first foot.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Very positive and useful as always Gillian xx

I will take your advice and buy some toe spacer, I think this will make me feel a lot more confident on wearing shoes. The last time I wore high heels Gillian was in the 70s and Im sure this contributed to my bunions forming. Ive made sure that Occupational Health, have put in their reply to my employer, that I need to elevate my feet during my working day, they are so helpful I am very lucky to work for who I do. I will be wearing my trainers to work, there not to bright and Im sure my employer with be sympathetic. Thanks again Gillian xx 

• Posted

Wow I am so glad that you all have had wonderful experiences.  I am in a lot of pain still.  Had surgery on 3/21/14.  The swelling is a lot better so that is good.  Foot doctor did  not beleive I had Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.  I am being treated by a pain doctor nerve blocks once a week and have physcial therapy 3 times a week.  I am hoping only 4 more weeks of this.  The physcial therapist said I better exercise it for a whole year and make sure I use that foot properly or I will be in trouble.  I hope no one else gets RSD.  Also for swelling I am using support hose ( I know not fun in the summer but it helps a lot)  Good luck
    • Posted

I had the beginnings of RSD after my bunionectomy and hammertoe. Also had plantar's fasciitis release and tarsal tunnel release at the same time.  RSD is nothing fun!  My doctor put me on Gabapentin and it helped tremenously!  Don't know if you have that in the UK or not. Might be worth asking about.  I had surgery 2/26/14 and still fighting the pain in the ball of my foot and toes.  
    • Posted

I tried Gabapentin one pill made me loopy for 2 days and did not touch the pain.  I am trying to move forward.  It is really hard and good to hear from other people, just  to know I am not alone.  The RSD is like being tortured. I am going to another foot Doctor today just hope he will treat me.  I am in the USA don't belong on the forum, but I needed someone to talk to other people and have hope.  Good luck to you Jenny it is so hard to be in pain so long.  Also I can  not take any pain pills except motrin so it has been really hard.  But I am really lucky I have really good insurance.  Good luck to everyone.
  • Posted

Hi katherine17566

I am going to have this op. for my daughter soon, out of my country, I'm living in SA but I need information from you if you can plz. bout which hospital you had this op. and who is the doctor done this op. for you and who much this cost for  one finger, how many days did you stay in the hospital.

Thank you and good luck.

• Posted

Can anyone tell me why I can't bend my big toe down.  I have been streching it for 4 weeks.
    • Posted

I think it has got stiff, Stephanie, and needs to be loosened up.  You said in an earlier post that your physical therapist mentioned exercise to you.  I think you may need to work on it, although this may take some time.  There is advice about exercises on YouTube.
    • Posted

I have been in physical therapy for 5 weeks and really has not helped with the bending downward.  I have another 6 weeks of therapy.  I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else.  I was wondering if  I have more hope or if my foot will stay weird looking.  The PT stated I might platue and not get movement down because of what the doctor did.  Don't understand that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.