Going back to work

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have not posted that much on here but have sought solace in reading about all of your recovery after TKR. 

I feel a tad guilty as I only had a partial Knee replacement at the end of March. Regarding my recovery this has gone slowly but I am now seeing the light at the end of a very long dark tunnel. As well as my knee surgery I have had cataract surgery on my eyes lol boy am I getting the most out of the NHS and I'm not 50 till next year!!

i am due to go back to work in a couple of weeks on a phased return but I am dreading it!! Would like to know how you all got on going back after such a lengthy time off. 

Thanks

Gill xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi gill

i returned at 12 weeks, and managed relatively well.

i found practicing work hours at home gave me confidence, I have to be on my feet all day, so doing so at home proved to me I was ready, although I think most will have expected some swelling at the end of the day.

my problem was a puffy lower leg, but I am realising this is par for the course.    I don't have any pain, and the most noticeable achievement is walking normal up and down slopes and stairs.

good luck. Sue x 

• Posted

Hi gill,thanks for the comments hope you are well and truly on the road to recovery,getting back to work will be a doddle, just take it easy and don't be a hero,after all that's what a phased return to work is all about.Good luck for the future

Snappy

• Posted

Hi Gill

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.  You have been through it a bit too then, with cataract surgery as well.

What has surprised me since I've been on the forum is how long people seem to be off work.  I returned after 6 weeks following both of my separate TKR operations.  As I've mentioned in other posts, the 6 week follow-up with the consultant has always followed after my certificate has expired, so I've just returned to work.  I work at home, but am sitting at a laptop all day, so this (I believe) has actually caused me the problems that I've had with straightening after a while.  I had MUAs on both, but my 2nd knee (done last Sept) is a nightmare, and I'm going back into hospital in Sept to have it opened up again.  I think that I need to be a lot more careful after my next period of sick leave...and maybe look to extend it if things are still not going well.

I wish you al the best with your continued recovery.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi gill I had my TNR 5.3.15 and I work full time for the NHS. I did 2 half days last week and im doing 4 half days this week. It feels good in a way to get back to normal but I must admit ive had a lot of stiffness in my knee and im tired out but il get there. Unf being a woman ya dont only have your job but therez all the house work etc plus I have grandchildren that I help with lol but I suppose it all keeps me going???
  • Posted

Hiya - I was off work for 3 months and was dreading coming back to work. I had a phased return for the first 3 weeks - slightly shorter days to miss the rush hour - then back to full time. Felt very vulnerable at first (used a stick for support but found it more of a hidderance than a support so ditched it!) and also very tired. Now been back almost 3 months and feel like I was never away!!! I now wish I was back home every day!! Knee sometimes gets a bit stiff and if I'm can't stretch my leg on the train it hurts towards the end of my journey but nothing majorly wrong - apart from working that is!! 😫😫
    • Posted

Same here back at 11 weeks full time. Still exercise throughout the day but find leg stiff after sitting down all day even with walking around and now wish that I was back at home

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.