going back to work after TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am interested in when people go back to work after TKR. l am a registered nurse and am 9 and 5 weeks out of 2 TKR. my surgeon says i can go back 8 weeks after the second one. Physio laughed at that, said more like 12 weeks. He think Feb st the earliest.

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

• Posted

I went back after 8 weeks but I just sit down all day. I think you'd struggle if you have a lot of walking or lifting to do. Also, I've caught every germ going with one cold after another. I think  you should probably give yourself a bit longer.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are amazing Sandra, having both done so close together and seemingly doing well! 

2yviemx has an excellent point in saying she caught every germ going around. You would be in the same situation as a nurse.

If I were you I would stay home and recouperate for as long as you can. It's such a long road with one TKR, much less two! 

You have my admiration! Betty almost 18 weeks

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi Sandra..there is no way I could have gone back to work after 8 weeks.... I am at week 11  and can barely walk some days.pain is ok except when I get up after sitting or sleeping.. then I can hardly walk   .. sleeping is terrible... wake every hour or so with muscle spasms... I try and keep busy during the day ..housework... little bit of painting  night time is the worst..... I'm hopefully over the  worst... stopped feeling sorry for myself .. take care and don't rush back .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry Sandra I can't help as way past retirement.Hlowever, I have auditioned for a part in the Merry Wives of Windsor and have a part so will be working part time in a way. No way full time though. Not for another month.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm going back to work in 10 days which will be 10 was plus 5 after a PKR & patella resurfacing, as cabin crew. I saw the company Dr and he's fine that I can carry out all my duties. When I was seen in clinic 6 weeks post op they also were happy for me to go back to work. I'm going back 2 on, 4 off, 3 on, 3 off and 4 on 3 off, 2 blocks of each. I don't know how I'm going to feel but I'm going to give it a go. My knee cap causes me the most discomfort and feels like it sticks or has slipped out of position, although it hasn't. Only you know if you are ready or not, you can give it a go and see if they will phase your hours. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do you mean cabin crew on a ship? I would imagine you would work as hard as a nurse.I am casual so I can set my own roster. I will prob do 1 on 2 off to start with. I wotk night duty and do 20 hour shifts. Sounds a lit, but there is usually more opportunity to sit down than day shifts. Of course I will be stuck if I strike really busy nights where you run all night!!

I wore a pedometer to work once and walked 12 km in an 8hour early shift. do I am planning on working myself up to wallking 8 km then I will consider myself ready to go back to work. I'm increasing my walking 500 m a week. Hopefully I'll lose some weight too!! I really would prefer to go back fully fit  and not have a phased return even though I could prob do that. I don't want to be a burden on other staff members. Nurses work hard enough as it is without having to carry other people. As do most people in the workplace.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Most decent employers will allow a phased return...Make sure you keep in touch with your line manager or HR   so you can let them know if you're struggling.... no point in pushing yourself if you're not fit.   
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Like I said before Mary, I would rather be fully fit and not have a phased return I am casual so can set my own roster. My line manager has been fantastic, allowing me to be on extended sick leave even though I  am casual. I agree on not pushing yourself when you are not fit. I really want to be able to pull my weight when I go back to work, and not be a burden. Lots to think about!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, 

I too am a nurse, I had my TKR just over 13 weeks ago and I certainly am not ready to return to work just yet!! I don't feel I could get through an 8 hour shift? I still have pain most days and find standing for long periods difficult?

I work in psychiatry on a busy admission ward, my manager is certainly not expecting me back before Christmas? I am hoping to also take some annual leave before I go back, so I think it will be early February for me? Even then it will be a phased return

until I feel I can take charge of a shift again?

Hope this helps?

Pauline.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe I should aim for late FEB then or march.I purposely went for a walk this morning and kept myself busy. Was exhausted by midday and slept for 3 hours!!!!! Definately will be a while before I am ready for work.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe I should aim for late FEB then or march.I purposely went for a walk this morning and kept myself busy. Was exhausted by midday and slept for 3 hours!!!!! Definately will be a while before I am ready for work.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with your physio, Sandra.  I had 12/13 weeks off work after both knees.  I was teaching at the time and could not have coped standing up all day.  When I did return to work, I had a phased return over 4 weeks.  If you return too early you will find your knees/ankles will swell.

Don't rush back!  Good Luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

good for you polly ,wish i had been given that option , my employers just didnt give me the chance ,in fact ive been off for 17 months and havnt even had a return to work interview ,  smile
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it really is so hard to say.  i was working from home (sitting on my sofa) as of week 4 and as of week 5 went to the office 60% every day with the odd appointment with my beauty hat on.  i will not be doing that for knee 2 that's for sure!  some days i arrived at the office in tears.  from pain.  from the struggle of getting there on public transport.  from the inconsiderate fellow passengers.  but i did it, and now, 11.5 weeks later, i am feeling soooo much better.  in essence, you do what you have to do.  so if you don't have to, don't.  this is major operation and everybody has a different rythm.

good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi sandra , im 8 months with my first and 15 weeks with the 2nd, ive been back at work for 3 weeks , i agree with your physio , i can tell you its tough ,very tough , i work 8 hours a day in a school kitchen feeding 1700 people per day , its a private school so every one had to eat dinner ,my poor knees swell and ache by the time i finish ,some times i ice at work or take 5 mins rest , i wouldnt think you will get much time to sit , i would recomend part time for a while if thats poissitive , it really is tough and you weont want to do much when you get home . i feel so tired and relax in the bath when i can , i only take naproxin twice a day ,i tried not to take any thing else if thats poss , maybe i should do , i really dont know 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Debbie.it does sound hard, going back to work. Because Ivan casual I can write my own roster. I will do part time, maybe one shift on, one off for a while. I am building my walking up to get fitter. As for your pain, in Aust regular oanadol.is given fir pain. It does help. Here you can get panadol osteo which is slow release panadol. You take 2 tablets every 8 hours. Or 3 times a day. That might help you. You are not taking much pain relief and you prob need it.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up