Going backwards

Posted , 7 users are following.

OK I'm 10 weeks today ,I thought I was doing so good even tho my rom has only been 75% I feel like I'm really go down .My knee has become so hard and stiff I can hardly stand it.I see my doctor on the 20th.I go to pt but I think it's worse after pt.I did some yard work last week end,mowing my grass,cleaning up my yard then that night I became so hard in my knee and it hasn't stopped yet.At PT two days ago I went down to 65 then they pushed but couldn't get me past 74.???????

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Stiffness, for me, means I'm swollen and a sign that I need to ice. Have you been continuing to ice after activity? Sounds like perhaps you need to do a little less in each spurt and ice more to help keep you lose. Perhaps that will improve your flexibility. I also find the pool and regular stretching throughout the day to be very helpful for my ROM.   10 weeks is still at the early stages of recovery so don't give up - just pace yourself. I know when we feel better we want to be more active but your body may be telling you to just back down a notch and give it more time. Good luck!

• Posted

I ice all day,if I leave the house I drive with ice bag on my knee.I'm sure it's not ice.I think I just did to much, Thank you for all the feed back.

• Posted

Your doing to much. My PT cut me back to about 30% of what therapy I was doing (as told to me by previous PTA). Initially I didn't like it (my current PT says he has 2 kinds of patients,the first he had to get behind and push and the second he has to get in front of and slow down...that's me!) Anyway everything in moderation be kind to yourself and that new knee! ROM hopefully will increase in time. Take care!

• Posted

You may have just over done the yard work. How long has it been since you did anything like that and then ask yourself what would the rest of you body feel like if had done something as strenuous in an equal amount of time. Possibly a little more warm up and streatching time beford starting to work. A couple of days of really resting and get thoroughly hydrated before jumping into your labors again.
  • Posted

You have a reason for going backwards.  All I do is stay on my feet doing things in the house for maybe a total of 2 hours for everything, walk outside a couple times and my knee gets progressivley more stiff till evening and then hurts all night.  It's like I have to keep it up resting nearly all the time.  Hope healing gets completed on the inside of the knee so this stops happening.

• Posted

At 10 weeks I was around 60-65 at the most. I've pulled weeds and use a trimmer to help my daughter a few times and boy do I hurt after that. I can't bend so I have to lean over which puts a huge strain on the muscles. My PT  works me hard three days a week so I'm sore all the time. At this I have no idea how to approach my continued PT, due to the pain level. Hope you have better luck moving forward.

• Posted

It's tricky isn't it. I'm also at 10 weeks. I'm 66 and have had OA for so long my knees have been stiff and painful for years. AT 10 weeks I am a mixture of elated and down! So now I can walk really well with no pain. If I overdo it, say walk a mile on rough ground it feels a bit stiff. So that's the really good news. But ROM is the same or worse than a few days after the op. And that is after doing lots of flexibility exercises all the time. In either directio it just hits a wall. 6 deg straight, 90 deg bent. It's hard to see how it will improve because I was expecting with all the work to gain a dgree or two each week but not so. But in other ways I am lucky - no pain. So I'm afraid i don't  know the answer really but maybe we need to ease back a bit and let nature do its bit. I'm not convinced that the PT side of it is as proven as they say.

• Posted

Hearing you say what I've been thinking - PT is not really proven - makes me wonder about pushing it.  The surgeon said you can increase your ROM up to a year.  So I asked him what's the rush?  That old answer, because of scar tissue.  Really?  So the numbers game goes on, while acknowleging that everyone progresses at different rates.  Seems to me there needs to be a sliding scale not set times to be at a certain point.  I just hope it's true for me what I hear some say, that the three month mark is a big turn around.  I know at 12 weeks alot of different parts of the knee (Bone ligaments, tendons) are supposed to be healed.  At 16 weeks full tone of peri-articular ligaments are healed, but it takes 6 months to restore general tone and vitality.  And deep healing of the scar is up to 9 months.  I seem to maintain the 90 degrees but beyond that I have to use heat, in the shower, or pain meds while someone pushes.  Both result in swelling and stiffness.  I'm at 7 weeks now and age 61.  Progress is so slow.  My goal is to be able to hike again.

• Posted

I didn't really mean to imply that PT isn't good. I should have worded it a bit better and said perhaps "not a panacea" for everything. It would appear from this forum that it is really useful for some but makes little difference to others. Of course we don't know as an individual what it would have been like if we had done none. That's the problem - there is no control run for each indiviual.

Dave

• Posted

Dave....having be through 5 complete rehab with several different scenarios I could/would never suggest the possibility of PT being anything but the heart of recovery. I have had everything from the time tested start up in the hospital the day after surgery and then onto home health the following week to out patient 2 weeks later Or the type that had me immobilized without a knee and non weigh bearing, non bending for 4 months and then the new prosthesis installed and having to start through the original process again. (This due to epistaph). PT comes in so many disguises. Leg lifts the day after surgery combined with strengthening the quads, etc. Its not all about weights and bending and being on a cpm machine or a bike or walking a mile etc. To even imply or put the idea that PT is of little value to someone justvaboutvto enter this race is really an injustice to them. Of course, like many things we all have to endure, this is just one persons opinion as is your viewpoint. The biggest step backwards I I had was not having therapy after havingb30 rounds of radiation. In an effort to kill the tumor and stop the bleeding radiation was the accepted method. It just burned and shrunk the tissue. 8 months later I had to have a synovectomy and then the effort to start getting the leg back in shape began with PT. A year later the 1st TKR....PT again. Evach time, with far more than the usual amt of work I had it close but not perfect. Of course being the 1st patient that both my ortho and therapist had ever worked with that had PVNS ( the tumor) it was a real challenge for them. But, dare to say, without PT and a tremendous and frustratingveffort by everyone I would have never have walked close to normal again. Since then and for the last 5 or 6 surgeries I changed Dr's and. hospitalso. However.......one thing that's been an absolute........I've stayed with physical therapy as the center of My. Treatment plan.

• Posted

Sorry, I have tried to correct what I said as it implied something I didn't mean! I think PT is good and essential. What I am saying is that for some it might not be the miracle cure that they were hoping for. If you take my case, age 66, bent knees for maybe 20 years or so. Here in the UK we don't tend to get 1 to 1 PT but see them every couple of weeks where they do a bit and give you a regime of appropriate exercises and  this is what has happened since day one for me. SO ten weeks in I have done all of the exercises religiously and I can because I have little pain. I am pleased to be able to walk well with no pain. I do have a bit of an issue with a sort of tennis elbow type pain on the outside of my knee where the tendon joins but otherwise little swelling or problems. BUT despite all of this my ROM is less than it was a week after the op and barely what it was before. Say about 6-90 deg. The PT, who I see again Wednesday says don't worry and it is going well. Now I don't blame PT's but am I seriously to believe if I have no other issues so far yet I haven't increased ROM by even one deg in 10 weeks I am likely to get to the 100-110 I crave with exercises in the next few months? Maybe it is possible but it seems unlikely based on the scientific evidence to date. Nevertheless despite this it has been a success and perhaps the PT has helped other aspects quite a bit.

Dave

• Posted

I was still gaining Bend after a year this last time. I was at 110 after 9 months and at a Year 117. Because of all the whacking and chopping I've had the Dr was setting 110 as my goal. Over the weekend of the 4th of July (in the states that's a special day as we celebrate no longer being bullied by a foreign king) I got up around 5 a.m. to go to the bathroom and had taken 7 or 8 steps when suddenly my hip gave way and I dropped straight down and I must have easily gone to a 130, let out a scream and in a twisting motion went to the floor. I severely twisted my hip and back sending me to the emergency room. No damage to the skeletal system but the pride sure took a beating. I also scraped the neck out of my shoulder and elbows which resulted in bleeding all over the white bedroom carpet. Meanwhile, my wife who is in The advanced stages of Parkinson's disease decides that somehow this frail 110 pounder is going to be able to pick this 210 pounder who is writhing in pain up off the floor. (She has to keep a walker by the bed incidentally). I am begging an pleading with her to stay in bed when she suddenly spins the walker and smacks me upside the head with the frame of said walker. Now both sides of my head are in pain as I had hit the other side on the wall during the fall. Now the picture is this: I'm laying on my back completely drenched in sweat as I have sort of gone into shock, both sides of my head hurt, I'm bleeding from elbow and shoulder and suddenly my knee is in screaming pain from the sudden harsh bend and its starting to swell immediatelythen all of a sudden reality sets in........I still have to go to the bathroom.......ONLY MORE SO. I roll my over weight, out of shape, sweating, painfilled, bleeding, almost four score body over and with my good leg get upright all the while yelling at my wife not to call the EMTs as I will have peed all over the floor by the time they got there and would have had more body fluids to clean up.........anyway.....when I got to ER later my bend was back to 103 and I was immediately put back into PT that same week. All the while I never moved off of the 0 for straight. After 6 PT sessions and daily 15 min workouts at home I am back to 110 and once my therapist got himself to the point he doesn't start uncontrollable laughter reliving my story, he assure me , with time ill be back to the 117 and maybe 120 as he believes the sudden movement actually RIPPED the scar tissue enough to allow it to happen.

Not sure how this fits in with your concerns about the validity of therapy but my newly found mental health provider ( I didn't need a shrink till this event scarred my psychic) says I need to open up and

relive the event, as damaging as it was.

Since then, My wife fell and broke her hip which resulted in a partial hip replacement and needing to go to a rehab facility to help regain strength and balance. She come home today after being gone a month and I now have to try and mentally readjust to having that damn walker back in the house and bedside again. On a serious note......after nearly 59 years of marriage you learn to accept many acts from your spouse as ones of sincere kindness and caring. However, I have vowed never to let her forget that lone act of smacking me in the head as symbolic of her true feelings. In fact, I let a few drops of ketchup dry on it to represent the blood I shed because of that caring. Wow, now I can tell my psychiatrist I don't need her anymore.......however I better keep my ortho on speed dial.

Everyone have a nice weekend. I gotta get the leaf blower out and clean house before she returns by late morning.

• Posted

Nice story - glad I haven't had to go through any of that (well except for the 43 years of marriage!). Again - I do think therapy is valid, just might not achieve same results for us all. By the way - you haven't said what your bend was before the op - something I believe is crucial?

Dave

P.S - We still put up with a Monarch but at least it has prevented us from having a constitution that let's us go round shooting each other for fun ;-)

• Posted

It isn't for fun.....there's always a reason....just ask em.

It depends on which time you speak of as far as the bend. I have a rare tumor so didn't have the long term bone on bone situation that most have.

The last time I had surgery I had been immobilized with no bed, no weight bearing for 4months the the prosthesis was inserted and and again immobilized for another month be starting therapy. This was all due to a staph infection. So I essence....I hadn't bent my knee more than 20° for 5 months. That's why it took a year of hard work.

• Posted

Hi .. sounds like you definitely over did it!  My sister took me out when I was about 10wks post op to a market over the other side of the city .. then she wanted to shopping for an outfit and we walked and walked was having a great time catching up with her but I didn't get home till 9 hours later .. I had been up and about for 8hrs and boy did I pay for that and I truly think that at 11mth post op and still suffering with severe swelling and tightness I do put it back to that .. not once did she thing about me .. she had said that we'd just go to this market we like and out for lunch and she wouldn't have me out long.  When my oldest sister found out how long we were out for boy did she give her a blasting about being selfish and only thinking of herself .. lucky we're close and can be honest with each other and alls fine!  So I'm still icing now .. I can't get my ROM over 110 due to the swelling but sugeons not worried he said that swelling in some knees can last a very long time... and I go in Monday for my other TKR.

Take care .. listen to your body and you'll get there for some it just takes longer than others .. and remember not to overdo it again!!!

Cheers... Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.