Going cold turkey off mirtazapine/Weight loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been on murtazapine for 2 weeks 15mg. I am desperate to come off it as it has made my weight go up a bit, and having suffered with an eating disorder the anxiety from this side effect simply isn't worth it for me. My two questions:

1) do you think I'd have withdrawal effects if I go cold turkey given the short time and small dose?

2) for anyone who stopped taking it, after how many days did the weight you'd gained start to drop again?

I know I should wait to ask the doctor but I can't get an appt for weeks and really don't feel I can stay on these

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest you to take 7.5 for 5 days, 3.5 for 5 days and then completly stop taking it.
  • Posted

I was on it a couple of months but half that dose. Like you I put on weight which made me want to come off although I was sleeping better. I started splitting pills in to smaller bits first and then missed days altogether and have not had anything for 10 days.

However my sleep is bad again so debating whether to go back on very small dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.