Going cold turkey with OCD

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been an anxiety suffer for about 5 years and have made huge amounts of progress. I feel like it's 80% gone but one thing holding me back is my OCD. I wouldn't say it completely controls my life but it gets in the way. Stuff like hand washing, over checking things, avoiding certain thought processes thinking it will come true if I think about it (stupid I know). Stuff like that. I feel like once the OCD is gone i will 100% be better as this is the last phase I need to lift. I have attempted to give up before but after a couple of weeks it creeps back in, start acting on it for reassurance on my 'bad days'. I need to be strong and get out of the old habits, do any ex OCDers or experts have any advice for me to overcome this once and for all ? Thank you

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations on the progress for the anxiety! That is a big step. 

Do you speak to a counselor about OCD? I know that some people can be cured of it

but that is after treatment. Other people can still have it but get a lot of relief from it . there is something called behavior modification Therapy that is used to treat OCD. There's also medication and lifestyle changes.  

Your best bet would most likely be to speak to a therapist who specializes in treating people with OCD. It may be more difficult to overcome on your own.

Best of luck! 

• Posted

Hi Rob,

I don't think you need a therapist personally - you've done some incredible work obviously with your anxiety being 80% gone. That didn't happen overnight, obviously, it was gradual through you learning to control your thought processes, and giving your mind time to rewire itself. This physical manifestation of anxiety is no different, it's just more obvious in your life, and is clearly just a coping mechanism based on how you describe it. Therefore, simply keep being mindful of it, control it as much as you can, but always practice total patience with yourself - it's a journey in the end. Over time, this too will pass. 

• Posted

Hello!

I defeated my ocd roughly 2 years ago now. My OCD was I had to repeat absolutely everything I do over and over again. It became a way of life and it was so awful, I couldn’t do anything without having a strong urge to do it over again or else “I would die”. One day I just didn’t listen to the voice in my head. I didn’t givenin. When I realized that I woke up the next morning, I care to the realization that it’s not real. The rituals won’t prevent the obsessive things you think about to not happen. Just like not doing the rituals won’t kill you.

I don’t have much advice other than to think about it logically (as hard as that seems) once you don’t give in to the rituals the obsessive thoughts go away.

Someone once told me that when a bad thought comes into the mind of a “normal” brain, said person can just ignore it, whereas someone with ocd will over think it and obsess about it. What I learned to do is to just accept it. I accept the thought, let it linger for a bit until it passes, then I get on with my day.

I wish you the best of luck in getting over this OCD, remember if I did it, so can you!

• Posted

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments and will update you on how it goes ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.