Going crazy worrying about a pelvic scan - help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Ladies!

Pelvic scan should be the least of my worries but anxious about the internal one as I have trouble with smear tests and wondering if I should just ask for the abdominal one and start from there to see if it gives enough detail.  Does anyone know if the abdominal / external scans are sufficient to show up any worrying signs?  Scan is tomorrow and I'll know soon enough when I see them but any views from the wise will help me sleep better!  I don't normally fret like this and feel a little foolish - where's the strong voice of reason gone from my head?!!!

Thankyou x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi  Topsy

External scans will show things up, but smears i think, because it goes under a microscope afterwards, it can detect somethings wrong earlier, if it does, then scan would come after that.........whats the reason for the smear though, if you can  you say?? do you suspect or,  have fibroids??

• Posted

Hi Elaine.  Nothing wrong with the smears just that I find them fantastically uncomfortable so was stressing about having a transvaginal ultrasound - mainly assuming it would feel worse.  I have abnormal bleeding so trying to find the cause and having a minor melt down which Im slightly ashamed about after reading what some other ladies go through.  Doc was a bit dismissive saying it was peri but I just want to be sure.  So many things can be blamed on peri so how do you know when it isnt, God forbid?!!!
  • Posted

Hi there pls don't fret about pelvic scans - I have one every year part of my annual check up and is a doddle - you cannot compare to a smear which can be really uncomfortable - none of these tests are fun - they can be so degrading but rest assured it is painless and over very quickly - don't worry at all about it and sleep well. Nothing to worry about
    • Posted

Sophie - thankyou so much.  I'm encouraged.  Pretty sure the internal scan is more detailed so I need to toughen up and do it!
    • Posted

you have nothing to worry about with this scan - what you will get are the best readings for why yr having it in the first place. Be brave - you will laugh at how simple it is so good luck
  • Posted

Topsy. Hi there.

I had the camera visit my inners a few months ago because I was having cramp pains from overy to overy and to check out s fybriod all ok. She explained that the cramp Paine were to do with the fact I am 49 and my overies still sort of work but not enough to produce anything

I hope this helps in anyway. Let us know how u get on

• Posted

Hi Jerry - Love how you describe it!  That must have been a relief for you and incredible they can confirm all that with the "inners visiting camera" so yeah - I should follow suit and get seen properly.  Am 47 and until the doc said I was peri I felt 27.  Now I feel 107 :-( !!  Many thanks - you have helped :-)
    • Posted

H topsy................i started my menopause at 47, firstly started with worsening, PMT, amxiety, and depression, along with severe fatigue, weeing bucket loads, waking lots, wered dreams another one, then period changes, mine were coming more frequently, but on for less time, from 4 days to 2, my period changes came every two years, so during this time, my health took a dive due to declining hormones, i was always on a 6weeks cycle and this is why mine took longer to actually stop, because its not normal for the body not to have periods, it tries to compensate by your body finding other ways to continue to produce hormones, until the ovaries shrivel completely and then it cant so you stop altogether then, your flare ups will come and go, normally start shortly before you are due a period, get better if you come on, then flare up again after finishing, when you havent had a period for 1 year you are considered post, after this time your symptoms start to decline and go and you feel more balanced out, however, your hot flushes may continue for several years during post and for some they never go, but most finish them 5 years after being post, but its different for everyone, ive been post now for 1 year, symptoms have declined dramatically, do still get them but very easy to cope with them on my own now,  sticking to my life style changes to help them, but without a doubt it was the peri time that was the most severe, hated it!!  and i think everyone will tell you that, it shouldnt be worse when your post, i would definately go down the HRT route if it continued that bad, you would go ga ga otherwise, good look with it xx
  • Posted

I have had two transvaginal ultrasounds, the first about ten years ago, and the second a couple of weeks ago. I don't find them comfortable, but I don't find them to be painful, either.

With the external exam (they did both on me) you need to have a very full bladder, which for me was far more uncomfortable than the internal exam. Driving to the hospital with a very full bladder 25 minutes was very unpleasant, and sitting in the waiting room for another 15 minutes was awful.

• Posted

Hi Verena

Hope you're OK.  Yeah - getting to the docs with a full bladder will be interesting.  I have a 30 min walk so could be tricky.  Im getting more encouraged that it'll be nothing and I'll be so relieved AND maybe have answers.  Thankyou!

• Posted

Dear Topsy,

I have had several transvaginal ultrasounds, they are very good for looking close up internally and would recommend it for a thorough look, please dont worry about them (i know easier said than done) but i didnt find them too bad at all x

• Posted

Thankyou CatFairy - I'm feeling more relieved with so many positive thoughts :-) What a great and supportive forum this is x
  • Posted

Hi there, I do understand your anxiety but please try not to worry too much. This scan is nothing like smear test. I had the scan many times and it is not painful. Smears can be uncomfortable and perhaps touch painful but scan is not. The problem they use it very small and very well lubricated. So please try to relax. Good luck tomorrow. smile
    • Posted

I meant to say 'the probs ' they use is very small&slim it should be easy. smile
    • Posted

Thankyou!  I feel so foolish now :-) but glad I posted this cause I'll re-read all these comments if I have another weak moment.  x
    • Posted

Hi lovey

First do not worry. I've had trabsvaginal scan plus subsequent procedures. I like you went because I had irregular heavy bleeds. Resulting in a diagnosis which is now being treated. It is far better to be aware & be able to deal with it. Rest assured you will. We are allowed to have melt downs, it's totally understandable. It definitely doesn't hurt.

I'm 50 - wonderful age.

Tc & keep us informed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.