going from 150mg of pristiq (desvenlafaxine) to 30mg of Mirtazapin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, 

im new to this forum and after reading all the comments and the good/bad experiences of Mirt I feel this is the right place for me to ask questions as there isn't alot of forums dedicated to this issue. smile

Im currently taking 150mg of Pristiq been on it for about 2 years for a whole range of issues from PTSD, anxiety, and depression . 

Today I went to my gp and see if there was any other medications that I can change to because I felt that pristiq wasn't working for me anymore and he prescribed me 30mg of mirt because I felt I needed more help with my anxiety rather than my depression . I wanted to ask the question , even though my gp has said to go straight onto the mirt but would it be better for me to start off with a half tablet first?  more so because I'm a little scared of being too spaced out or "off" while starting mirt and with 3 girls to look after I want to be active to be with them smile im sorry for the essay lol thankyou to all replies in advanced 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed 15 mg to start and had to reduce it to 7.5mg because I was so spaced out. I then increased after around 10 day's. Theres no way I could function on 15mg at the beginning, its ok if you're prepred to sleep for a week but like you say you have children to look after. I can honestly say tho after years of trying different meds Mirt have by far been the best for me, everyone is different tho. Good luck.
    • Posted

hi Helen 

thankyou for replying I apologise for the late reply I thought that I would start on 1/2 of the 30mg tablet on Friday and omg within 20-30mins I was out like a light slept so solid I didn't hear my daughter come in crying sad Ive noticed im more irritated and very angry which I didn't have on pristiq I really hope it gets better when I i take a full tablet good luck to you too

• Posted

even though i had no probs with mirt i must admit that it sems prudent to start on low dosage + increase.Ask for Gp to call you for a quick chat -mine always does if i need him instaed of making an appt with someone who is not yr own gp or getting an appt with yr gp but not till weeks ahead.
  • Posted

Hi i was prescribed 30mg mirtazapine 15 yrs ago and had no side effects whatsoever on starting it ...when i questioned my dr why he didnt start me on 15mg he explained that people who did this experienced well more side effects and then would struggle with the increase as they would fear the side effects would worsen ...ie 30mg seem to have less side effects and it is the dose for anxiety and depression ..where as 15mg helps with insomnia ...i must point out though that i have remained on these tabs ever since as the w/d is dreadful they no longer help me but initially were a life saver ...personally i think they should come with a review every 6 months ...
    • Posted

Just to add - withdrawal from mirtazapine doesn't always have to be dreadful, after more than 6 years on 30mg, I'm reducing it very slowly. I'm down to 22.5mg ( one and a half 15mg tabs) every 3 days, 30mg on days in between. Next week it will be every other day, and so on. No problems so far!
    • Posted

Hi Kal, I couldn't agree more, I think actually every drug should be reviewed every 6mths.  That would have saved me such a lot of distress .

The lower you seem to WD from Mirt the more unwell you seem to feel, I myself am down to 7.5mg and I'm Haveing some terrible days, my Stomack is killing me,but I'm determined to get off them.   I must say we're not all the same so I think every one should try there own way.  For me it's a very slow process.  Take care

• Posted

hi kal 

thankyou for your reply I wish I had read it sooner as I started with half a tablet of 30mg because I was worried of being to spaced out & omg within 20-30mins of taking the half tablet I was out like a light slept solid but woke up groggy and irritable , I've been also experiencing anger and bad mood swings since it's only been my third day I'm worried my mood swings is scaring my husband and children sad I really hope it passes 

• Posted

Hi Quinn, I don't know about you being on the right sight,as there's such a lot of mixed feelings about Mirt. It seems to affect people differently.  I personally had no problem going on it, the problem came WD from it, like so many people. 

So so really I think at the end of the day you've got to make your own decision.                

I wish you Luck and good health.  Take Care.

• Posted

Thanks Norma you sound like you have done fantastically to get down to 7.5 im struggling getting down from 30mg ...so well done hun ! Can i ask you do you think this drug makes you look drained as ive got it in my head that it alters your appearance but maybe its the anxiety itself that makes me appear so tired !!!
    • Posted

Hi Kal sorry if I've mislead anyone I've got to 12.5 from 45mg,but I'll have to stay at that for awhile,because of Stomack cramps.

No I don't think they affect your appearance ,but I had a tip given to me by someone who has now WD successfully,take a vitamin D tablet considering we don't have much sun in this country,it does help lift you a little.  

Take Care

• Posted

Thanku Norma for responding and being so helpful ...
    • Posted

Hi kal22, I just wanted to add to your discussion about looking drained; I too feel I looked drained, really tired looking eyes, watery and sometimes feel like they're burning.  I get out of breath easily too on a bad day, walking the hills - as you do - when dog walking rolleyes.  I'm on it for a while longer yet so i'll be trying the vitamin D.  I'm on 15mg and it seems that this amount is more about sleep aid than antidepressent from the discussions on here.
    • Posted

HI CALMER thankyou for responding ...i would love to get down to 15mg as the 30mg leaves me feeling hungover ..lets definitely try the vitamin d3 as its supposed to b brill for you anyways so can do no harm!!! Feels grt to have someone agree with me re this exhausted face not certain its just mirtazapine poss our anxiety as well ???
    • Posted

Hi Kal, yes the anxiety will certainly do that ... my anx' is under control (fingers x'd), think I had a megga share of that last year.   Did an 8 week CBT course, also a Mindfulness course - desperate not to get it back!!

Do you get the burning lips/mouth also?  I used to but having been on it 7 months now, I think my body is getting used to it, I don't get the hangover effect or trouble waking in the morning anymore now either.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.