going from being really happy to lowest of the low - out of the blue. Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Basically I take 40mg Cit in morningfor anxiety/ panic and depression , this week has been pretty good. felt generally happy and at times really happy , having a giggle with friends etc and feeling 'normal' to completely out of the blue , within miniutes feeling so low and completely drained like everything has been zapped out of me , then an hr later i could feel better again. i feel like a complete headcase. i feel an idiot if i try and explain to gp - which i have next week for check up , because ive had to change meds a fair bit for various health reasons so i feel like hes gonna think ffs another issue. - for example today , i had day off work had lots of fun with friends , laughing joking etc , film and treat night planned with  my child and now out of the blue i feel the pits but cant let him down . Anyone else feel this 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

have you seen the thread/forum "Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?". I suggest that you take a look there and you will see that these are very common side effects of Cit. How long have you been taking Cit?

• Posted

Yes, as Sarah says, this is very common whilst recovering.  Don't worry, even though your mood will be up and down for a while to come, it'll eventually get better and the low times will be a thing of the past.

Many of us have been there, and come through it.

K x

• Posted

Thank you I will look. I've been on them a couple of months now. I was on venlafaxine but I had one of the very rare side effects so had to stop immediately. Prior to that I had sertraline and mirt but that did nothing. So I know I need to persevere with it . I just worry as when I get to the low mood thoughts of harming myself happen. . I wouldn't as I have my Lil one and I can fight the thought I just worry that one day it may not be so easy to fight it x
  • Posted

Hang in there Sarah. Any anti-depressant is not fool proof. It takes effort and awareness on your part to work with the process. I have down periods but I know it will get better and the confidence helps keep going. 

God bless and hang in there

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I also agree with what everyone else has said and never feel ashamed, embarrassed or that you shouldn't talk about this, because, that is one of the ways to help ourselves understand and as jcwray said "work with the process".

Keep your Dr up-to-date with everything that is going on, do not keep him out of the loop, if he does have the ffs attitude seek out one that knows about "sticking plasters for the brain!"

In the meantime keep posting and we'll keep supporting you!

Happy Saturdays!

David

Ps my youngest daughter is 12 and I have explained everyhting to her over the past year since I became ill, she kinda understands and is supportive, Bless her!

• Posted

Hi sarah how long have you been on cit? I too am the same can be so happy and hyper loving life then the odd day or days where I am so anxious the thoughts creep in! So annoying lol but reassuring that there is others feel the same! Good luck missus!

Emz x

• Posted

Hey sarah thats no good and rest assure I felt exactly the same was ringing my doc it got that bad and always hung up thinking "he must think I'm a nutcase" however we forget the docs spend so much time with ill people from all walks of life and extremes of illness so they are very emotionless which can for us be quite a put off.... I was like you one minute happy optimistic and thinking hey great I'm back to only wake and find I was agitated and fatiqued witha feeling of no hope! These feelings are really frustrating and emotional all I can say is wait out the meds and focus on when you reach your stage of recovery and how great you will feel! dont be too hard yourself around your boy if possible get some family help to take the pressure of yourself stay strong xx
    • Posted

Thank you... yeah I spend lots of time with my Lil one. And I ensure that he never misses out on anything. My family don't know too much. And the fact that most of my depression side of things is from stuff I'm the past and even bk then I never told anyone. I think it would be to hard to explain everything now. Which is mainly why I use this site smile. My gp is actually really good and understanding it's more from my perspective of being a pain. I have an appointment this week anyway so I will try and mention about the extreme highs to lows and also the tiredness. . I had tried temazepam which was magic but that was only for short term if 2 wks.

Work are good too I feel like I need to speak more to my manager about it all but when it comes to it I just bottle it... so in the meantime I think I'll try find positive thoughts and focus on me and my Lil one. X

• Posted

Hi sarah, Yeah the benzodiazepine's are a fast reacting tranquillizer for short periods as quite addictive.... I'm sure your GP and you will find the blance to get your recovery back on track stay positive smile and I tend to agree with jcwray it would beneift greatly to have someone to talk too about your past, keeping it out helps with the healing? take care. 
  • Posted

I certainly don't know your situation, but I doubt that it is helpful for you to keep everything bottled up. There must be someone who is close enough to listen which is the primary assistance that you need. I'm sure that much of it is personal so I doubt that exposing it here is the best thing, but find SOMEONE who will listen. Best of luck Sarah and comment here anytime
  • Posted

Morning Sarah,

As part of my part in my own recovery (which was basically try get me to focus on getting through this with the goal of getting better, I changed several things. These things were all part of the lifestyle and work ethic which conspired to bring me to my knees and here in the first place!

My diet is a far more healthier one although, I used to cook with as much organic a poss, but now with non-soya based products providing the protein we need I nolonger eat meat of the land however, I do eat from the sea for other health reasons. Initially I stopped drinking (now have the odd bottle, or two, of ale a week and successfully given up smoking! Primarily, that which was instrumental in bringing me here, work related stress, I have removed myself from. I am still signed unfit for work, but this gives Ann and I time to reshape our future. The money I don't spend (waste) anymore means we have so much more, even with a big cut in income.

Unlike my last employer I hope yours realises that they have a statutory duty of care toward their employees and by "bottling it" may be putting them in a bad position and you not getting the support you have a right to!

It would be better for you (and everyone) if you can find someone close to explain what is going on. Awareness is the key to any illness like ours especially, when there are no physical signs that something is wrong.

I have never ever relied on drugs to make me better and steer clear of anything unless advised by my Dr. She knows a lot about #sticking plasters for the brain" and also not to overload on others to get one by, when a little self help may, just may, be possible.

One thing you must always remember, you have your forum family and we are here virtually 24/7!

We are all here for basically the same reasons however, with the various reasons comes lots of experience.

Keep posting Sarah.

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.