Going in for major dental surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay where to start. For the past 6 years or so, i have had extremely bad teeth to say the least, very embarressing and extremely painful to put it lightly, i have been on and off different pain medications for years due to severe anxiety of dentists from an incident that occured around  years ago with a ruthless dentist who left my mouth in a mess and extremely painful. So basically i am going in for surgery tomorrow morning to have around 15 teeth removed, a lot of them are worn down, decayed as you can probably imagine. It's going to be worth it in the end but very scary for anxious patients. I am being put under  intravenous conscious sedation, i currently take x4 50mg tramadol & x3 2mg diazepam per day to ease the pain and relax. However even this medication is not helping as much as it was, both my dentist and doctor know this. 

Is there any other medication a long the same lines as tramadol that will help with the pain and can my dentist prescribe strong pain medications ? It literally feels like nails are being push out of my teeth and gums throughout the day, every day. Its been very hard and a long wait to get this procedure and i will have to go back over a course of 2 months. 

Any and all help is much appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately doctors are cutting back on pain meds bc people abuse them. I feel your pain. Thankfully my old dentist (who is the best) doesn't take my insurance bc it's welfare crap) but he is fixing my whole mouth for free 12,000$ worth of work. He has already started the best thing that helped me was honestly exerdrin MIGRAINE. The caffeine in it shrinks the nerves which causes the most pain. I have taken this and has actually helped MORE than pain meds. Ask them for lodine that's a good one for teeth but not a narcotic pain med. Good luck and DONT smoke after. It is very emotional so hopefully you have some support from someone. Hope this helps. Try listerine with alcohol before you get them pulled if ur in pain the alcohol in the listerine will help.
  • Posted

Also if they are a decent dentist they should prescribe you some kind of pain meds, even 5mg percocet. If it were me I would ask for fast acting pain meds like a oxycodone 15 mgs I doubt they will give you 30s. If you are a previous addict or still present make sure to take them orally rather than snorting them. And make sure you finish every antibiotics they give you. Try to get a few klonopins or xanax to help with your anxiety. Trust me I totally understand.
    • Posted

I was thinking oxycodone, but i live in the UK, the laws here are a bit more strict but people are prescribed oxycodone but not hydrocodone it's not prescribed here at all. I have xanex ( diazepam) but not many, how would i go about asking for oxycodone's ? Can you give me some advice please if you don't mind. 
  • Posted

I also have bad teeth (all 4 wisdoms and 2 molars). I just had an abscess tooth and the pain is horrible...besides antibiotics and tramadol here is what I did to ease pain. I used oil of oregano capsules. I cut one end off and poured it over teeth and gums making sure to get down in the tooth. This was the best for me it numbs instantly and its a natural antibiotic...I also used peppermint oil (not as often as oil of oregano), black tea bags (soften in warm water ring out and put on tooth for 30 mins) and every time I ate anything I would follow with a warm sea salt water rinse. I was prescribed tramadol and would only use at night mostly to help me sleep. During the day it was oregano and salt water rinses and the pain was bearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.