Going mad!

Posted , 4 users are following.

first time posting, I've suffered from depression on & off for a long, I someti feel as though I'm going mad! I recognise so many of the feelings that everyone speaks about. I've been back on citalopram 20mg for around 4 weeks and im exerting there slowly, sometimes my own thoughts terrify me and I think I'm a monster and that there's som wrong with me (other than depression) over the years I've convinced myself of so many things that could be wrong with me, physical as well as mental! Does anyone else do this or is it just me? I hate this so much, I shou be happy and excited planning my wedding for next year but I don't really feel anything apart from flat & empty 😔

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I just don't think I am good at anything, I dknt think I am a good person and question if I actually like anything. It is a frustrating place and mindset to be in :-( 

Try not to out pressure on yourself to act in a certain way. I'm sure excitement for you wedding will come. Just take a day at a time. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi rebecca welcome to this group  i hope you can get the answers you want ! Rebecca citalopram is a  very popular anti depressant which can take up to 6 to 8 weeks  to fully work but if you feel it isnt helping you or is causing you problems please go back to your doctor and tell him ! Rebecca has your doctor  suggested cbt or any.other form of therapy ! Its amazing how many people suffer from depression so your not alone ! Please take care  david xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you David for taking the time to reply 😌

ive suffered depression sine I was around 17 (I'm 38 now) but was only diagnosed in 2001 nearly a year after my son was born. I had quite a few years depression free but I've had it for every year at the same time for the past 3 or 4, it's a terrible thing to go through and I know I'm not alone in it but it never seems tI get any easier 😞

Dr has suggested cut before but I refused it & last year he put me on ad and told me to stay on them right through this year to try and prevent the same thing happening again this year but I supid decided in the summer I was fine and didn't need them!! How wrong could I be!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Rebecca please go by what your doctor advises that way you should get better sooner ! Its not a good idea to chop and change your meds ! Im not going to preach to you but ive been there and used to not listen to the doctor ! But i do now  and im starting.to feel much better  ! Take care and i wish you all the best david 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No problem please dont.think im trying to tell you what to do but i would like to think i can help someone and thats the only.reason i do this ! Youve got your wedding to look forward to next year that might help you to remain positive ! I wish you well david
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello, I have had depression for many, many years.  It takes away so much from us.  We are not mad, we just suffer from an awful illness called depression.  And no, it does not get any easier.

I have hated myself even though I knew I was a good person.  I lost all self esteem and confidence. 

Give the anti depressants time, and if you really feel they are not helping, then perhaps it is the wrong medication for you.  I have been on many, some right for me, and some wrong.  Medication can have strange side effects.  Yes it is a terrible thing to go through, this illness that robs us of so much. 

Keep in touch with us here, and hope it helps.  You are not alone in how you feel, and we understand as been through it ourselves.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Anne, thanks for your reply 😊

ive had a good day today and hope that this is it starting to lift. I'm the same with hating myself even though I know I'm a good person, but it's hard to see thing properly when you feel very low. I've managed to convince myself of all manner of physical illness as well and mental issues! I can't even watch the news when I feel this way, if I hear a story about a bad person I worry that I'm the same as them! I don't even know if that makes sense to anyone? Xxx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up