going outside immediately after op

Posted , 15 users are following.

Assuming my op takes place next week I'm intending going out on my scooter the day after I come home. I might be believing in the impossible but what would be the biggest problem when you're not having to do any work yourself? I'd be grateful for your own experiences please as although I'm unable to walk anywhere at the moment there is no problem at all using my scooter apart from getting up off it to put it away. Then comes that groin agony owwwwwww

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You're nuts - don't even try it so soon ( I'm assuming you mean one with 2 wheels ! ) 🏍

• Posted

4 - a proper mobility scooter that's given me freedom for the past 10 months.

• Posted

Ok so it's more stable but I think Maggie is right in what she's saying below and you should be thinking of resting. 🛌

• Posted

I think you might be being ambitious in that, at least talk to the hospital staff!  Apart from anything else you are very very tired and need to pace yourself. By the time you have done normal everyday things obeying the restrictions, and done the exercises you may find you do not wish to do anything else. I would have thought manipulating a mobility? Scooter to put it away involved breaking the 90 degree rule. Just be careful
    • Posted

This 90 degree rule is puzzling me....I know you can't bend past your waist - and yes you're quite correct re the scooter battery - I had totally forgotten one has to bend right down to take that out! But if you keep at right angles - bending not past your waist - , that's ok isn't it? I haven't spoken to a soul here yet about this bending business so excuse me if I come across naive.

• Posted

Don't forget it! I felt great after surgery and day 8 I took a long car ride to get parts to my crew. My wife drove, it was just thirty minutes. The bouncing, caused me internal bleeding. The swelling was terrible!!! My leg was so swollen my skin was splitting. No blood clots, they don't know why I swelled. But being to active week one couldn't have helped. Please rest , elevate, and ice when you get home. I had to lie on my back for ten days with leg in the air, in a pressure wrap! I'm a forty year old landscaper, I am now at 12 weeks fighting fibrosis in my leg due to swelling from to much activity to soon. Good luck

• Posted

Ohh that's terrible! I'm so so sorry you had to go through all that after all your previous hip agony as well. I didn't think a bit of a bumpy pavement could do that. I'm so sorry for you. But thank you so much for telling me what happened to you. I'm just imagining I will feel ok enough to just carry on as before and go out A BIT etc etc.......I'm 75 so maybe I'm living in a fool's paradise.

• Posted

Wow..i don't think you will want to anything but rest and elevate that leg. I've had both of my hips done and it's been a year since surgery and I'm still healing. And that swelling afterwards is a struggle because the leg will feel as it weighs a ton...but everyone is different..good luck

• Posted

So the operated leg feels really heavy afterwards does it? I didn't even know that.....sad  sad

• Posted

I obviously know it's going to be extrememly painful but the pain just cannot be worse than the pain I have had for so long now. I'm unable to even walk across my lounge without using my rolltor.

• Posted

The operated leg be still swollen for about a week and your feet will swell too from gravity...my husband had to help me in and out of the bed because I couldn't lift the leg up. You will be tired too because u will lose sleep because u won't be able to get completely comfortable...omg I was so happy when i was able to turn on my side and sleep with a pillow between my thighs ..after 2 weeks I was ok and was driving but I couldn't over do it.

• Posted

If the approach is posterior a great many of the large muscles have been cut to enable the access to the joint. If anterior they are parted but held in retractors to allow the access. Consequently the muscles are quite weak post op and moving the leg is difficult for a week or so
  • Posted

Sarah, your body will let you know pretty quickly that this is not a good idea. THR is major surgery on the largest joint and muscle groups in your body. You are likely to be at least a bit zonked on painkillers, plus residual effects of anesthesia. You need to take extra precautions against falling, and observe the 90 degree rule. You also need to take care of the incision, as any sort of infection can become a huge deal. Your optimism is great, but you will be exhausted just from managing regular needs, like getting in and out of bed!

Here in the States, they send you home the day after surgery and you start doing physiotherapy that same day. I live alone and it was a nightmare, I couldn't manage the simplest tasks, and I fell a few days after coming home (on carpeting at least, so not as bad as it might have been).

There needs to be a balance between doing your exercises faithfully and getting lots of time to rest and heal. Just lying around is not good, but neither is pushing yourself too much.

If you read this forum you will see plenty of evidence that recovery is no casual matter, despite some great success stories.

Lots of luck with your surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.