going to counselling and having no affect

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi hope someone thats been there done that will be-able to help ive been going to coubselling for 6 months now and the work has had no affects on me at all i dont really undrestand what my counselier and i get really upset and confused a lot mostly after my counselling class event thought its not long that i speand talking to my counsellor i get very confused and dont really undrstand half the things that the counsellor says as i have a learning difficulty and sometime well i mean most of the times i dont understand most people i just hope that this make sense  i was thinking on not going back as i feel its making me worse as i do get very anxious before going and when i leave i get very upset and anxious i dont enjoy going and its doing nothing for me and the doctors have said that if ist bot helping me at all its ok not to go back but im so worred and confused about it all can andyone please give advice as i just dontknow and its making me ill with the worry or wat if thanks 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes we treat counselling and therapy as a 'cure' that will instantly fix us. To get most out of it I suggest you explain your concerns and what isn't working for you to your counsellor, it is their job to help you and your right to ask that. And make sure you actively engage with it and continue to think about it in between sessions.

I had CBT not counselling but I think the same applies, for a time it had no affect and I discussed it with my therapist - we came up with a new and better plan to help me. Having someone to talk to is really important so I would try and improve the sessions before stopping them.

Hope that helps! smile

• Posted

Hello Sharon ,you say you have learning difficulties ask to go to a counsellor who can alter the way they work with you sometimes by using pictures and doing visual exercises it can help.you can always take someone with you if you feel comfortable to help you .x
  • Posted

Tell the therqpist you have a learning delay or see a person who knows how to properly communicate with you. Therapy is only as useful as the information you provide. Going there is a step in a ling process. You have to be able to organize your thiughts and discuss them and your fears.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.