going to the GP tomorrow

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I finally plucked up the courage to tell my mum about the fact that I think I have depression. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and my only regret was not doing it sooner. I'm going to the GP tomorrow and I feel so sick just thinking about it, talking to someone about my problems. I feel like he's going to judge me because it's not anonymous and I've known him all my life. Please I just need some advice, I know it's pathetic because I don't even know what I need advice on... 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi mxishx welcome to the forum youve made made the best decision for your self in telling your mum about your depression i bet she was more understanding than you thought she would be ! dont be worried about your doctors appointment the doctor is there to help you not to judge you he will proberlly be more understanding ! please dont put yourself down you are not pathetic at all in fact it taken you a long time to admit you have a problem ! i really wish you the best and hope all goes well ! d
  • Posted

hi mxishx welcome to the forum youve made made the best decision for your self in telling your mum about your depression i bet she was more understanding than you thought she would be ! dont be worried about your doctors appointment the doctor is there to help you not to judge you he will proberlly be more understanding ! please dont put yourself down you are not pathetic at all in fact it taken you a long time to admit you have a problem ! i really wish you the best and hope all goes well ! d
    • Posted

This honestly means so much to me, thank you! 
  • Posted

So  you are going to see your GP and that's a very good decision. The fact that you have known him all your life should make it easier for you to talk to him. If it's any easier make notes.  Take a list with you - say at the outset that you think you have depression and just say you have made a list of the symptoms you are experiencing. He'll read it and ask you questions and on that basis he'll make a decision as to what can be done to help you. Don't be afraid as he will have heard it before in some form or another. It's his job to help you as best he can.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for you words of encouragment, it really means a lot and is exactly what I need. I don't know, personally I felt like he was trying to brush me off and he even told to me 'turn to God'.. After my watchful waiting period I guess we'll see what happens. 
  • Posted

You'll be fine.  It's an illness.  Tell him about your sleep pattern - eg, do you waken up early and can't get back to sleep.  

Are you very tired, don't enjoy things you used to, avoid seeing your friends, find your appetite is affected, find your concentration is poor, don't read much/watch as much TV as before, want to stay in the house more, find you have mood swings, etc?  are you a student, worrying about exams/work?

Make a list.  The GPs deal with this all the time.  Just don't expect the pills to work overnight.  The could take up to 6 weeks and for the first two weeks you might not notice much difference, or could even feel a bit worse, especially more tired until body gets used to the medication.

take care.  You've done the difficult bits -told your Mum and made an appointment to see your GP.

all the best, Nessie

• Posted

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but thankyou, i was so nervous about going to my gp later but you've really helped, thankyou
  • Posted

I feel the same, I haven't told my parents but i've booked myself an appointment. I'm so nervous because although i have a lot of symptoms what if i'm just wasting the doctors time? and I don't want my mum finding out because she won't understand, she keeps telling me to grow up when ever she notices that i'm down or have been crying... I don't know what to say to the doctor though, I could use some advice myself... 
    • Posted

My mum was the same, she really didn't understand depression and it wasn't her fault. She was brought up to be 'tough' and to just get on with things and whenever she saw that I was sad she would tell me to 'get over it' and stuff like that. However, when I told her she apologised and tried to be as supportive as she could be. Telling her was such a relief because I felt for the first time that I wasn't alone. Maybe you could write a letter to her to explain your feelings if you don't feel like you can talk to her? Maybe your mum could surprise you..

I honestly wish you the all best with you appointment, for advice I would suggest that you should be as honest as you can and remember that your doctor is there to help you. Good luck and i'm here if you ever want to talk!

• Posted

I don't think you should worry what the doctor thinksThey are there to help.Concentrate on what you are saying and ask for a referral to a counsellor .Mention you heard they can help and you DO NOT want meds at this time.    Some advice On this forum (just scroll through) a moderator has put together a list of websites that offer advice.His name is Emis Moderator.Please let me know you go .Even let me know if you find advice helpful.best wishes 
  • Posted

Hi

hope your GP visit went well.  Remember that depression is an illness.  Sometimes, your GP is lucky and fluoxetine or a few other her drugs work.  Your GP may then need to refer you to a psychiastrist.  This isn't scary.  He/she should know about a wider range of drugs.  In my own case, I've been on 4 antidepressants and they haven't found one that's worked. I think they are going to have to wean me off the last one and try something else.  Unfortunately, it takes 6 weeks to come off one and start another, but don't give up.  

IT's tough when you have always been independent as I was but you just have to make the best of it.  Mornings are the worst for me.

hope you get help and begin the slow round to recovery.

best wishes

Nessie

• Posted

Thank  you so much for asking, it really means alot. He's put me on watchful waiting which for two weeks which is just a waste of time. I feel like he doesn't understand that i've tried to be better and happier and all these suggestions are a just useless. Living like this for another two weeks is awful but I have to admit that my mum has been very supportive however sometimes she does say the wrong things but I know she means well.

I am so sorry that you have to go through this too and I genuinely hope that it all works out for you. The amazing advice you've given me applies to you too, keep strong and it will get better. You're doing so well so far and I am so proud of you. If you need someone to talk to, i'm here. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Misihx

glad  you seem more positive.  Unfortunately, it!s a slow process.  If you get the right antidepressant, you're lucky, but even so, this could take up to 6 weeks to have an effect.

if you don't find one, then the process is longer.  It can take up to 6 weeks to gradually get off. your "old" pill and then there is a time lag when you get on to your new pill, up to 4 weeks, and meantime, you can't sleep and feel like hell.

hope they have got one that agrees with you.

Take care of yourself and best wishes

Nessie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.