Good follow up with surgeon

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a good visit at the surgeon's office today. 7 weeks post op on left knee and 12 weeks with the right. Found out I am doing too much walking which is keeping the muscles from healing. The recommendation is to switch to an Exercycle 10 to 15 minutes the first week then increase from there. Also I need to keep doing straight leg lifts to build the thigh muscles. No swimming for another 2 months because of risk to the internal stitches. Best news is I can start driving again.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you're making excellent progress, good for you! I'm glad to get the scoop on swimming too because I was thinking about using the town pool for some exercise. I'm just 10 weeks post op so now I think I'll wait a while for swimming. Keep up the good work.
  • Posted

Glad to hear that you have gotten some helpful feedback. Also, remember to trust yourself to know when enough is enough. Then you will rest and feel better.

Driving will help you to feel better, too. It is GREAT getting out again!

Wishing you continued success!

• Posted

I kept thinking I needed to walk more. However they said too much keeps the muscles from healing, particularly those on the inside and back of the knee where I am having pain. 
  • Posted

Maila

That is wonderful news. I never thought one could walk too much. Thank you for sharing the info- it gives me a guideline. I am 8 wks p/o on left and 1 wk p/o on right.

Good luck on your continued success.

Elaine

• Posted

Throughout my Rehab I've always maintained my exercises right up until my meeting with my surgeon at 71/2 weeks ,but, I only had a UKR done. My only com plaint was stiffness and discomfort around the knee. Have to say, I also stayed on crutches right up until the surgeons review. I told him I'd cut out most of my exercises except for knee bends and knee extensions. He told me to focus on hamstring exercises and showed me what to do. He then pronounced me OK to drive my car, OK to throw away both crutches indoors and use only one crutch outdoors ( in fact I was so confident that I did away with crutches in and outdoors) and finally can go back to work at end of January 2016. At the end of each day, regardless of how active I've been, I always elevate and ice the knee. When I go back to work it'll be restricted hours (1/2 a day ) for the first 2 weeks, then full time. Must say the hamstring exercises are really having a good effect. I am also continue seeing my PT every 2 or 3 weeks for ongoing massage to both legs. I must say I did appreciate comments from people on this forum in the early days when I didn't know where I was and if anything I've tended to delay pushing my body and try and give it more time to heal than to do too much. Its paid off. However for about 8 weeks prior to surgery I saw my PT who worked on strengthening my operated knee and  I am convinced it was time well spent.

John

• Posted

When I started swimming, I didn't actually swim for a while! I did my exercises under water and sat on a long float pedalling as if on a bike.  Did me the world of good!
    • Posted

I thiunk this is a good idea Susan. Thinking of starting back in the gym again. Wanted to do bike and swimming. After reading this will walk and do gentle exercises.
  • Posted

I was told ai should walk in the pool once I can o in.
  • Posted

Glad you had a good visit with the surgeon maila. I have documented mine in another thread. Surgeon very dismissive. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.