good news (and not so good)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good news ladies. Following a rectocele repair on 18 April - so now 13 weeks post op. I will say I had very, very little pain post op - all healed well. No real bleeding or discharge, no infection. Achy, draggy feeling in the main walking and sitting ok, standng difficult. Resumed sex life a 6 -7 weeks and all good.

Had 12 weeks off work. I was originally signed off for 6, given another 2 by a GP (not my own) saw my own GP who immediately signed me off for another 4. I did feel that I could have gone back to work after 10.

?Had a week's leave after the 12 weeks. Went camping, went body boarding just a little (I love the sea) - stopped before I ached.

?First day back at work today and it was.......ok! Tired by 1.30 though and fell asleep when I got home but cope-able with. Bit achy but paracetemol sorted.

?So the good news is - is does get better!

?The bad news is the repair was so good the GP think it has exposed an underlying weakness lower down and I have a new prolapse lower down the vagina and into the perineum. Still coming to terms with this. I did feel that there had been failure early on so I did sort of know. So back to the same old, same old as before. I have been re-referred and an appointment s come through for October. I am a bt disappointed by this as I feel it shoul't be a case of "starting again" but  go in as a follow up from the original surgery. I have rung up the inquitous 'choose & book' (where you can neither choose or book!)  try to get a cancellation but no go.

?If I saw the consultant privately would this mean I could get nhs surgery quicker? I could afford a priate consultation but not surgery. I would like to get this confirmed - or not - so I could get mentally prepared - or not! for more surgery if necessary. Any ideas anyone?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello trizwizz. It was lovely to read you're back to work and feeling better. Your question about seeing a consultant privately could mean you have any further surgery or tests on the NHS faster. It very often happens that way, I did that some years ago when I needed a hysterectomy and I know it still happens. Xx

• Posted

Thanks - I just checked the consulants page on the local private hospital. It says I need a letter of referral from my GP. Getting a GP appt can take over 2 weeks here! I would happy to wait for surgery on the nhs, if necessary, I just would like to get the new problem confirmed. Even if I then had to keep the nhs consultation in October and then go on the surgery waiting list from then.

?My husband does have an appt with the GP in a week or so. I was going to ask him to ask the GP if he felt this a new problem or a follow up. At my post op I did ask the consultant re the new bulge but, to be honest, he didn't really check. He looked at the wound site and said it was healing well ( true)..

• Posted

Some private hospitals allow self referrals but that's obviously not the case in your area which is a shame. Would you be able to ring the surgery and ask one of the secretary's (not the receptionist) who usually does doctors letters and referrals if they could speak to your GP and ask him for a referral?  Or you speak to the GP on the phone yourself? 2 weeks is a long time really when you just want a diagnosis. I can't understand consultant's not doing a thorough examination at the post op check because doing an internal examination is the only way to confirm the surgery has worked or not. I know they aren't pleasant but after prolapse surgery our dignity has gone out of the window anyway! I hope you get it sorted out very soon.

• Posted

The consultant works at 2 other hospitals; one is the local private and the other is the private wing at the nhs hospital. they may have different  criteria ,  i would have to  check. i'm happy to ring  if necessary .

?at the post op I did say about the  new bulge. he did do an internal. but i was lying on my back so everything was flat as it were! At the original consultation was very clear  that , in order to make a proper diagnosis, I needed to be on my side and asked  to 'bear down' etc. At the post op he didn't ask any of those things he just checked the wound. I did ask about he bulge but he said it was just the lumps and bumps of heaing. I wasn't convinced and kicking myself for not pursuing more. I have stress incontinence too and we talked more about a TVT or physio.

?I went back to the GP as I knew it wasn't right - I can feel the bulge again. I think this is in a worse positon - the original prolapse was a neat bulge in middle of the vagina as it were. This is at th entrance the introitus (?) and down to the perineum. In order to have a sucessful bowel movement I have to splint both the vaginal wall and the perineum - this  is worse than before!

• Posted

Sorry having terrible trouble with my keyboard - or typing on ths forum board  tonight  -so apologies if some words are missing or contracted!
    • Posted

I always say women know their body better than anyone, even consultant's and I've even said that to them. You're absolutely right about the position you should be in to be examined, that is so important but I'm amazed at how many doctors still don't exam that way. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I think we've all walked away from an appointment thinking of all the things we could have pursued but it's not easy to be forceful in that situation. A private appointment would give you more time to ask questions and get answers as well and I wish the NHS allowed for the same amount of time. Sometimes you just have to think about yourself and if you can afford it go for the initial private appointment because that is the most important. I benefitted so much from mine. I hope you get this sorted out trizwizz, splinting is awful, I had to do it and I'd hate to have to go through it again. Let me know up how you get on x

• Posted

Gave up on my keyboard last night - seems to be better after a night's rest!

?I know what you mean about asking questions at a consultation. I work with parents who have to see consultants for thier children and I am full of advice "write everything you want to ask down, don't leave until you've got answers, don't be put off, take someone with you, etc etc! I've even gone with parents to appointments!! But hey when it came to myself I found myself being ushered out gently when I really wasn't happy! At the time the consultant said he had had a complicated surgery list in the morning so maybe he was tired too. Anyways I will try to get it sorted.

?Though when I went to the GP he examined me when I was on my back - he did ask me to bear down and had a good look around - there was a bit of soreness on the wound site so he checked that thoroughly - just sore though nothing else. Even when I was on my back he could feel a bulge which is why he felt it was a new prolapse rather than a failure of the first repair. Gynae is not his speciality though. He did refer me back straight away - he dictated the letter while I was there. He did say he wanted to be tactful as he didn't want to upset the surgeon!

• Posted

Didn't want to upset the surgeon? They are still held in high esteem even now. I hope you get this sorted out quickly trizwizz and do exactly what you tell your parents to do! Take care.

• Posted

In fairness to the GP - his speciality is bones/orthopedics. I think he didn't want to upset the consultant by inferring he had done a bad job - which I don't think is the case. (Although interestingly the GP felt the original prolapse was greater than 4cm and would require mesh repair. The consultant felt it was small - less than 2cm). Or teach hime to "suck eggs" as it were!

?I emailed the private part of the nhs hospital today to ask if I could have a consultation there - they have not replied as yet.

• Posted

You'll get a response quite soon trizwizz, everything moves along much more quickly in private practice. 

• Posted

I hope so matron. Partly because of the physical aspect but also because there is a possibility of a new job in the new acemic year. I would like to know what is going on before I consider changing jobs or talking about the new one seriouslywould find it difficult, in conscience, to change jobs and go off sick immediately or to stay in the one I've got - go off sick then hand my notice in. So I need to think carefully about this.

?Physically I think there has been a deterioration in the last few weeks and it's not going to get better.

• Posted

I'm sure you'll get an appointment quite quickly although July and August are popular holiday months so that could delay an appointment but only by a few weeks. I know when I requested a private appointment the consultant secretary rang me a few days after the referral and I was seen within a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.