Good news! - finally undetectable antibodies

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Graves in 2007, started on Methimazole at 10 mg per day which normalized my Free T3 and T4 in the upper normal range but TSH remained at less than 0.001 for two years.  Then I added supplements like L-Carnitine (later Acetyl-L-Carnitine), vitamin D and Magnesium, Omega 3.  ALL my levels are now normal including TSH and my Endo, whom I saw today, said that my Graves antibodies (TRAb) were undetectable.  I am continuing on 2.5 mg of Methimazole daily for 3 days a week though he gave me the choice of stopping it altogether if I wanted.  I am a little leery of doing that as my Graves was initially triggered by stress in the workplace and I feel I could easily relapse as it is still there. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Congrats! It's nice to hear success stories. Glad u decided to keep your thyroid and give meds a chance. I hope you stay in remission for a loooooong time.

• Posted

That's great news do you know if the l-carnitine is good to take if you are hypo?

• Posted

Carnitine blocks thyroid hormone uptake so I don't think it would be helpful to someone with hypo.  The Regular L-Carnitine did not dramatically alter my thyroid tests.  If you got tested for carnitine levels and were deficient in Carnitine, you could probably take the Regular Carnitine but if you are hypo, absolutely do not take Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  I have seen Hashimoto patients who start out hyperthyroid and swing back and forth remain stable when they are treated with Regular L-Carnitiine rather than thyroid hormone blocking drugs like Methimazole or Carbimazole. 

• Posted

There are 4 days a week I do not take even the low dose of Methimazole and I take 500 mg of Regular L-Carnitine on those days.  All my levels have remained normal and stable within range on this plan.
  • Posted

Fantastic Linda!!  I'm so happy to hear your readings are normal and you feel good!  

• Posted

Fantastic!...I really hope your remission lasts a long time, I went 18 years..good luck.xx
    • Posted

Thanks. I recently came across some interesting information that said that autoimmune diseases were not caused by the immune system attacking the body as is currently believed but it is attacking viruses that lay dormant in places like the liver in our body, viruses such as the Epstein Barr virus, which get activated when we are stressed.  I am going to see if I can find more research on this.
    • Posted

Hi Linda

I also read about curing thryoid by cleansing your liver. I'll see if I can get info on Monday when I see the holistic doc.  I had Epstein Barr after Mono. 

• Posted

Hi Veronica

Congrats to you too! Were you on meds and supplements or just meds? Which ones?  Are you off all now and still fine? 

• Posted

Hi JayValle, I was on absolutely nothing for 18 years, this was following 5 years on and off PTU. I thought I'd beaten it..unfortunately I relapsed severely last year, I again went on PTU which was horrid, I decided to 'lose the battle to win the war' and had RAI in February of this year and hey presto I am back to absolutely no medication again! Feeling fine, walking at least 6 miles regularly, back to Pilates and have only regained my hyper weight loss. TSH still on the low side of normal, I'll take that as a result...long may it last...although I know I may go hypo if/when that happens I will face it. I have always faced Graves with a positive outlook. I can also with hindsight absolutely put my Graves down to stress in my personal life. Wherever you are on your journey, things will get better, this is a great site for support.

• Posted

So happy for you Veronica for winning the battle. Knowing our bodies is step one. 

Keep being well :-) 

• Posted

I hope so...today is a good day, I have just welcomed my 7th grandchild. I have a lot of living to do! Wherever we are on our journey, we must stay positive even though it often seems an impossibility....it will get better.
    • Posted

Congratulations Veronica.....

what an  achievement ...  enjoy your life and your family ...especially your newborn .. in good health

mx🌹

• Posted

Oh how beautiful Veronica! Congratulations on the birth of your new grandchild. 

Many Blessings !!

• Posted

Just read your good news Linda... 😻  Congratulations  !!

....    you worked very hard to achieve that result !    🌸🌼🌺💐🌻

Well done ...  you help others so much and deserve to be well again ..

... keep takin the pills  !! 

Luv M 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.