Got two small stones but no attacks for 6 weeks since cutting out crisps, olives etc etc.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My first post on here and hope you can help me make a decision.

I see my consultant soon and am undecided which way to go op or no op to remove gallbladder.

I have had 3 bad attacks during a 7 month period but nothing for the last 6 weeks since cutting out fatty cheese crisps an olives etc. The scan showed two stones and on my last attack I ended being jaudiced and had liver tests which showed a problem at first but got better on its own.

I'm not against having the bladder out but concerned about another general anethetic at my age 69, after having two ops in the last 7 months already. Does the fact that I've got small stone mean I will have another attic if I continue to eat well? I'm generally slim and in good health.

Hopefully some one can share their experience on this.

kind regards

Tony

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony

My experience is that eventually your body will give you no choice.

Many people live with gallstones without issue. I have a family member who has had gallstones for 6 years with no issues at all they were only noticed on a scan for something else.

However once you get symptoms in my experience it doesn't get any better. It took about 2 years for the pain to become more than an ache. Then the pain from attacks became unbearable and more and more frequent and were triggered not by what I ate as much as the stones moving and becoming stuck in the ducts.

There is also a constant risk of infection of the gallbladder itself and pancreatitis. I unfortunately experienced both.

The final straw was an attack that lasted 16 hours at that point I stopped worrying about anything else my body had decided.

But everyone is different and gallbladder issues I've discovered on these forums are very personalised not everyone has the same symptoms or experience it varies widely. I'd say go with your gut smile

Best Wishes.

• Posted

I would wait and see a naturopathic doctor and do a lot of research on gealing your gut, liver and gallbladder.  I have several friends who through diet, probiotics, digestive enzymes,etc., totally healed themselves.  Makes sense to try before you go through surgery.  Nothing to lose and you could save your gallbladder.   I am 61 and 9 weeks post op.   Terrible pain and still struggling.  I, like you, had very few attacks prior.   This is major surgery.   Dont let doctor downplay that.  These forums attest to the fact that many people struggle for years after this surgery.   I lost a ton of weight and it is difficult to regain it .   I would definitely wait.  Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Tony, 

I've read so much on the gallbladder over the last 2 years and spoke to so many doctors! Lol.  It's a good thing you know it's your gallbladder based on having jaundice, liver test and attacks.  I would say if you can live well and enjoy food with adjusting some very fatty foods don't have the op.  If it impacts your life too much then most I know do have it out.  I have sickness but no pain attacks just bad neasea, bloating, terrible weight loss,  can't eat large portions, right shoulder blade pain with a large stone but they aren't sure it's that!?  I've heard a few cases a year are like me?! They diagnosed Gastropresis but I only have a 2% slightly slow stomach which is so minimal for being so sick every week?!  I cut out so much fat and it didn't help.  Obviously keeping your organ is preferred but if it's causing too much pain then you need it out.  It comes down to quality of life and your health being good if you keep it.  smile.  I'm in Canada but I figure from your comment about crisps you may be the UK where all my family are.  smile.  Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Snow, Joan and Karen,

Thanks for your replies all common sense. I am more worried about more anethesia than the op. I'm still undecided and see the consultant at end of week. I will see what he has to say and  then check on the reputation of his skills if that's possible.

Thanks again and good luck with your conditions too.

• Posted

I can understand your concern about the anesthesia.  Ask the surgeon but don't worry! It never helps!!   Get the facts & make an informed decision.   I felt the same about all the X rays I've had!!!!!   Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I've not had crisps for a while. You're a long way from your Family.Just reading your reply and it seems like you haven't had your gallbladder out.

I saw the consultant yesterday and he wants me to have a mri scan to check other things out, which is good, and gives me more time to see if I can control attacks by eating low fat. I assume it will be two weeks for a scan, then another 2 weeks for a revisit to the consultant and then another 12 weeks for a galbladder op, so plenty of time to procrastinate. I dont know procrastinate came from.

If I have another attack whilst on low fat I will be knocking on the door to have it out.

Good luck

• Posted

Well I think if I could eat normal size portions & not get bloating & neasea I would keep my gallbladder.  They just can't say for sure if it's my gallstone?!  I wish I had the pain so I'd know it's that!  They say maybe gastropresis but I had none of the causes of that except if it was a post virus?   I don't really want to loose my gallbladder if I'm not 100% sure but surgeons tell me they get a few cases with no pain?!  I am along way from all my family!  My parents immigrated 60 years ago so that's how it happened?!  One of my cousins immigrated but to Australia so that didn't help?! Lol.  Hope you do ok, if you don't get pain attacks keep it!!  Otherwise I hear most are ok when it is removed?!  Good luck smile 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

It must be disconcerting not knowing whats going on. As you will know the pain associated with gallbladder/stones is terrible and nothing takes the pain away, well apart from opiates but you cant buy them over the counter.

My kids are 100 miles away and it may as well be australia because we get together once or twice a year.

will keep the forum updated once I know what the outcome will be.

good luck with your prognosis.

tony

• Posted

HI Tony, 

All the symptoms people talk about do help sometimes in figuring out what's going on?!  Do keep us posted as not a lot report after they are better! Lol.  

Take care Karen 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Yes, I always report back as thats how we help each other. It might be some 3 months by the time I have more tests and get an op if I decide to, which if I was a bit man I would say, yes to an op.

• Posted

You can't control it with diet or any of the potions and tinctures that are discussed around the internet. Save yourself the pain and consider yourself lucky you have a diagnosis and an option to resolve it. It will happen again and again no matter what. Whether your body can handle the op is something you need to figure out with the doctor. I suffered needlessly for 2 years and would not go through it again for anything. 

• Posted

Thanks robax,  I am sure that is what I will do.

I will wait and see what the MRI comes up with.

I've had 2 successful ops already with the nhs and for that I am very grateful.

• Posted

You don't seem to have read the subject of dissolving your stones re ursodioxycholi8c acid treatment?  If they are cholesterol based stones the treatment works.  Your doctors should have given you the option in any case but some doctors do not seem interested in an educated approach? It saved me an operation and it might do same for you so don't just think your gall bladder must be removed because it may not!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.