gp has abandon me

Posted , 6 users are following.

i went to see my gp today and spoke to him about the way i am feeling , i have been suffering constant anxiety for 2 years now , i was on venlaxafine but it stop working last christmas my gp , told me to stop and put me on mirtazapine and quetiapine for 3 months but this made me so ill side effects , couldnt get out of bed , so then changed me to citalopram 20mg and 2 months ago added 100mg of pregablin , i have really struggled with side effects everyone that there is and i believe the pregablin has made me more depressed done nothing for my anxiety . having told my gp this tonight his reply was that there was nothing really more he could do for me , his words were i cant give you a tablet to make you feel like you have won the lottery and the way you have discribed how you are feeling to me i dont think any medication is going to make you feel any better , so there is not lot more i can do for you , then he ask me if i had any ideas as to where i wanted to go from here , i replied you are the doctor thats what i am here for so that you can give me the help and advice that i need , to which he replied i dont think there is any more we can do . with that i have come away with the overwelming feeling of abandoment , not only am i struggling with this terrible illness , i am now all alone , if the gp cant do anything who can . the most annoying thing for me is that they were the ones who put me on the meds and i have suffered all the side effects and days of high anxiety and depression changing from 1 med to another , and now its sorry we are not interested , absolutley gutted if i didnt feel bad enough allready ,,  head in my hands with despair , surely this cant be right 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well to be honest firstly you need to change doctors... That is the most stupid unprofessional advise I have ever heard... You WILL get on top of your anxiety I promise you... You just need to speak to the right people!!!! I've lived with this for 3 years now and I find talking to professionals in this field helps a lot!!!!! Your doctor should refer you to the mental health team!! You are NOT on your own and you will get better trust me!! It just takes time
    • Posted

thanks for your reply , i am under a pshyctrist , but am not due to see her for another 7 weeks , only seen her twice but to be honest she is not very good . listen and rights notes but not very helpfull when i have left her i feel like we have achieved nothing , doesnt change meds or make any suggestions of what we could try or different avenues to help me . 
    • Posted

I know how u feel I've been to speak to many people and never really come out feeling any better about anything!!!! I struggle every day with my thoughts!!! It's ruining my life!!! What is your main concern about the anxiety ??? Is it your thoughts that trigger the anxiety???
  • Posted

You are not alone terry,iv had docs do the same to me,a lot of our conditions are in our minds and tablets only help when we ourselves work with them,I'm in a meltdown at the moment also and I'm struggling but iv been here before and made it through and I know I can again this time,go to another doctor and see about therapies so at least you have a professional to help reassure you xx
  • Posted

Terry,  

Have you spoken to anyone (councellers, Therapists) etc?  I found for me, being able to talk to someone who is not your GP and who may or may not judge you helped. My doctor told me "You have General Anxiety Disorde and you need to learn how to deal with it". ... Not so helpful. So on my own I seeked out a councellor in my area and spoke to them. Then I called EAP at work and spoke to someone there. These 2 were most helpful in getting me to understand what is going on and NO, I am not crazy!  I am now  waiting for a course that is offered by my local Mental health office on how to deal with Anxiety and Depression. It does not start until the end of October. Maybe there is something like that in your city?  I hope you find comfort soon!  XX 

• Posted

Your doctor didnt feel he was capable of treating you. Time for a new doctor now. So many doctors now  have this horrid attitude and personally thats when your doctor should leave his profession for a different job. If you cant take the pills they give you and be quiet they dont or cant help you. Thank him for being a failed professional and go out there and seek a doctor who is more knowledgable and better suited to care for you. Tons of people have side effects. Theres a whole thing on how one metabolizes drugs and the cyp450 effect. i am wondering if you have seen an integrated doctor..one who is an md and specializes in complimentary medicine. There are so many doctors out there that can and would help you. God is trying to point you to better care, allow it.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this. Gp's are really uneducated on depression and anxiety from my experience. All they do or can do really is look in their PDR and prescribe meds that are suitable.for your condtion. Have you seen a psychologist or psychiatrist? They are very well versed in what meds work for most people with similar symptoms. I feel for you. My daughter has suffered with anxiety/OCD and depression. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm in the US and there are psychologists that will see you and adjust charge according to your income, if cost is an.issue. Gp's really aren't educated to treat any sort of condition of stress, psychological issues etc.
  • Posted

first thing is you need a to change doctor surgerys this doctor sounds like my last doctor who laughed when i talked about my depression .i have been on so many meds and now on venlaxafine 150mg for a few months feel some days that its all ok but still have dark days at least on this forum we are not alone citalopram 20mg is not very high maybe 40mg . after years and years of feeling helplesss i now have a very good doctor who understands and even phones me .you are never alone there is alaways sombody to help andy nottingham 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.