GP wants to prescribe me anti depressants (ssri's)

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm based in Ireland but I guess we don't have the best resources for this type of issue so my GP referred me to this site for info on lowmood/depression/cbt/SSRI's. My GP thinks Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would be useful but with my mood at the moment doesn't think I'll engage very well so wants to put me on SSRI's first.  I was put on anti-depressants as a teenager but I felt they made me worse and was taken off them after two weeks, I now realise that probably didn't help but I really want to get a sense of whether they do help? I'm not expecting miracles and know they will take some time but after all this can I expect any changes/improvements? Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie. I have been on medications for almost two years now that have given me my life back. Different people can respond differently to meds and it usually takes a few weeks before you notice a real improvement. Keep in touch and take care.
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

Yes meds certainly help me. I think you shld definitely give them a try. I am on fluoxetine and have been for one and a half years. Everybody reacts to meds differently. Keep in touch and let us know how u get on.

D

• Posted

Meds changed my life in ways I never could have imagined. Worst of the side effects lasted about 2 weeks then at about the 4th week I began to feel that it was going to do me some good. At about week 5 doctor increased my dosage as he had started me out on only 10 mg while my body got used to the SSRI. The meds take effect gradually and although it took about 3 months for me to start to feel like getting back into things I was interested in before and so forth I believe they have been well worth it. I am now at about the 4th of treatment and am actually starting to feel happy again.
  • Posted

Hi Katie - sorry to read of your situation. The thing with meds is that everyone reacts differently. The med you were prescribed may not have been suitable for you. There are many meds available for depression/anxiety, and sometimes it can be a hit and miss affair. Also, the dosage may need adjusting. The initial effects of these types of meds takes time - anywhere between 3-6 weeks, perhaps more depending on the person and the illness. When the right med(s) are found, they will balance your mood and methods like CBT will be easier for you to negotiate. The right meds will improve your situation and it is worth the effort if nothing else has worked. You don't have to live a life in the shadows.

• Posted

I dont get on well with srri's but there are other things. People I have known seem to do reasonably well on cognitive therapy, so why not give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained. if you dont do it you fail it you do do it you might fail but there is a chance you might succeed.

• Posted

I'm also based in Ireland, I'm not so sure about our resources, I've been on different antidepressants(brands strengths etc) I never found them any good. My GP keeps telling me that they make you worse before you make progress! He also suggested seeking out a counselor as the pills work best with that sort of thing. I've never been good at talking about things but it might suit you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.