Gram Positive bacteria

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

it has been a while since I last posted on here as been really busy trying to deal with my symptoms and hospital appointments.

My history and problems have been going on a while now and will be too long for me go into (I have made numerous posts on here about my history at length). But symptoms are weak urine flow, discomfort after sex, testicular pain, leaking a clear gel like liquid after sex and painful tip of penis. I have had many many tests and antibiotic courses that haven't worked. My recent semen culture test came back positive for gram positive bacteria. Does anyone have any knowledge into what this is?

I have now been told to re-do the semen sample as to pinpoint what the bacteria is. In the meantime I have been prescribed another month supply of doxycycline (I have had 6 courses of this is last 3 years and problem still persists). I have also been asked to complete a urine test for chlamydia but again I have had at least a dozen of these tests which have always been clear. I am confused as to what gram positive bacteria is or means?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have not mentioned if you had any radiology scans.

• Posted

Hi Lester,

Yes I have had 2 CT Scans and 1 MRI. They were clear. The funny thing is my last semen test back in March 2018 came back clear. Nothing has changed in last year (my same long term partner) but this semen test has come back gram positive.

Cheers

• Posted

At their cellular level, all bacteria can be classified as either Gram positive or negative. In general, negative bacteria are more drug resistant so are considered more dangerous.

• Posted

Daniel,

Gram positive are a subset of all bacteria.

Gram-positive bacteria are bacteria that give a positive result in the Gram stain test, which is traditionally used to quickly classify bacteria into two broad categories according to their cell wall.

You may want to search for [gram-positive bacteria] in Wikipedia for more detained information.

In testing, a purple stain is used in a Gram test. Gram positive bacteria absorb the stain and show up as purple under a microscope while gram negative bacteria do not.

Examples of gram-positive cells include:

Staphylococcus aureus: a bacterium known for MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

Streptococcus pneumoniae: responsible for pneumonia.

Clostridium perfringens: which is a source of may food borne illnesses.

Clostridium difficle: which is in the environment, and can created serious diarrhea problems in the bowel after treatment by antibiotics.

Glenn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.