Grave's Disease While Pregnant

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone please tell me about their experience with Graves' disease while pregnant? I currently take .5mg of Methimazole (Tapazole) daily- so my thyroid is under control at the moment. Any advice/experience you can provide would be great. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tricia71710,

How much methimazole you are taking. In first trimester you should take PTU. Are you taking 5 mg or 0.5 mg methimazole.

• Posted

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I currently take 2.5mg of methimazole. My doctor will switch to ptu pending lab results- which should be tomorrow or Monday. I'm unsure of symptoms that come along or complications from the Graves' disease while pregnant

• Posted

Hi again,

Glad your doctor will switch you on PTU.Can you post your recent results. How many weeks you are. What is your recent TSI. From what i read and learn that high TSI can cross the placenta, its rare, but you need to see a MFM, and they will closely monitor you and baby thyroid gland.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.