Graves and anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all, I am new here although I have been on meds for hyperactive thyroid for two years. It took me this long to really do my own research into Graves (stupid I know!) and I am relieved to find that it may be the cause for some of my 'psychological' problems, I had no idea Graves had more than the physical symptoms that my Dr was treating!

At the moment I am particularly concerned about my anxiety and I am wondering if anyone else is/has experienced the same problems?

I am only 22 and as a teenager I was very outgoing and sociable but since the Graves symptoms started kicking in I have felt more and more nervous in social situations. I hardly ever go out with my friends anymore and feel anxious in crowds.

Tonight my boyfriend wants me to go to a local bar where they're playing some live music and some of his old school friends are back visiting from uni. This is exactly the kind of thing I would love to do but just thinking about it is making me anxious. When I go to things like this I start to feel sick, I get hot and sweaty and fidgety and all I can think about is when I can go home again!

Its already ruined my social life and relationships with friends and now I am worrying that it might affect my relationship with my boyfriend too. He is really kind and understanding of my problems and loves me to pieces but he's also really sociable and outgoing and I feel like I'm holding him back. I want to be able to go on nights out again and actually enjoy myself!

If anyone else has experienced similar problems or has any advice I would really love to hear from you :-)

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachy, graves disease definately bring on symptoms your describing. I have had hyperthyroidism and graves disease for over 2 years. I'm on medication for thyroid and had previously been treated with an antidepressant as I was getting very bad anxiety attacks and depression. Had been on tablets for year and weaned myself off around 6 months ago. My doctor put me on citalopram which really helped. Last week I had really bad relaps with all symptoms and have had to go back on tablets. I don't go out anymore and am mainly at home. Quite tearful at times too. It's normal how your feeling. In regards to u go and see GP and explain to them how u feel. And if friends don't stick around there not worth having. With your bf communication is key. Tell him how ur feeling and how ur illness affects you. Your not alone x
  • Posted

That's already made me feel heaps better :-) thank you for being so kind, it is such a relief to have finally found an explanation for all my 'quirks' and people who understand :-) I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering too! I am nervous about going to the Dr about this as they tend to be quick to describe medication, I don't want to take any more bloody tablets lol and I am lucky in that I don't feel like my problem is quite bad enough to warrant medication.

Have you tried or found any natural remedies which help at all? I have a read a few posts about changing your diet, cutting out gluten etc but I am a bit skeptical as to whether things like that will help anxiety.

• Posted

I also do reiki. Which has really helped. If you are not going out I would say maybe you do need a little help. I'm only on 10 my of citalopram which is nothing. But it calms my anxiety. I was feeling chest pains and all sorts before I started back on tablets was really bad. Some days I'd feel really paranoid like everyone was watching me. Then other days I'd be a bit up and down in mood. Try some guided meditation youtube is good for them, if your feeling stressed. I do reiki once a week and that's really helped relax me. But can be expensive. Good luck x
  • Posted

Perhaps your right. I tend to tell myself that I'm being silly and there's nothing wrong with me. But perhaps that's not healthy! I will speak with my doctor and have a little look on youtube. My sister has talked about angelic reiki but I'm such a cynic! At this point I think I need to open my mind a little. Anything that doesnt hurt must be a help right?! Thank you so much for your advice :-)
  • Posted

Yes I was like that to with reiki. But it has helped. Speak to ur doctor. And see what they suggest. Let me know how u get on.
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm so happy I came across this. I'm 30 years old and I have been diagnosed almost a year ago and my condition was extremely severe. I'm still unstable but there,s quite an improvement. I sometimes feel like my nervous system will explode, that I'm so nervous or anxious that I feel like screaming. I keep getting worried that there's something wrong with my nervous system. Is this an ok symptom or do I need to get a bran scan or something to make sure everything is ok.? Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Bansi, people don't realise how much this condition effect you. I was exactly like you, still kind of am. I felt like my heart was going to explode when had anxiety attack. Thought I was going to have a heart attack or stroke. Had lots of tests my heart was ok. Graves disease and hyperthyroidism kicks off an emotional imbalance in your body too. I suffered badly with depression and anxiety when I was diagnosed. Am on citalopram now which keeps it controlled. I'm sure it's just anxiety but if you are worried and for your own peace of mind speak to doctor. Anxiety is a strange thing it can make you feel a world of pain. Try to relax, try meditation. I do reiki. Which I love. If you ever worried come and vent frustration on here ill always try to reply asap. Keep talking to friends family about how u feel. All helps x
  • Posted

Dear lady kinkavel,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yesterday was one of my hardest days where i kept crying from 11pm till 7 in the morning and i just couldnt stop. I cant talk to friends or family anymore as i get nervous especially with family because they dont get my nervousness and anxiety attacks and i dont blame them at all, im turning into this untolerable person. Ill try to learn more about reiki or any other sort of meditation. Im so glad i found this forum and it makes me feel so relieved that i can talk and share with peope without having to explain the emotional swings that happen to me. Thank you and i wish a speedy easy recovery for everyone and hopefully to overcome itsmile

• Posted

This is so normal. I have found citalopram helped me control emotional side more. It's an antidepressant but really helps with anxiety. Don't feel bad about needing help if it makes u deal with each day better it's a blessing x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up