Graves and Hyperthroid

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi Everyone,

I was dianosed with Graves and hyperthyroidism 2 yeards ago, I was initially put on carbimazole 10mg once a day and propranolol 10mg three times a day to help with the rapid heart rate. My initail T3 was 39.6pmol/L  (3.9-6.8 range) and T4 (10.5-26 range) was 49.7pmol/L, TSH was <0.014 (0.35-4.5 range). After 10 months carbimazole was eventually increased to 80mg as it was having no effect on my blood results. In January this year my Endo consultant swapped me over to propylthiouracil 600mg once a day and propranolol is now up to 40mg three times a day becuase my heart rate shoots upto 278 beats per minutes just walking up the stairs (no I am not joking, my dr thought I was and I ended up wearing a heart monitor for a wekk)! My blood work is still showing levels of T3 at 39.6pmol/L and T4 of 50.2pmol/L with no change in the TSH.  I am back to see the opthalmologist at the end of the month as eyes are getting worse and I am having sever trouble with double vision in the mornings and evenings.  Has anyone else had high levels for this amount of time? I had to give up work because of diarrhoea and full body shaking, I have also lost 4 stone weight and am constantly wanting to eat and feel tired and weak but don't sleep that much either! Its really effecting my life now, and I cant exercise like I used to or run around with my children. My consultant said they would remove my thryoid, but need my levels to come down first as it is too risky with how high my levels are at the moment.  How long has it taken others bloods to reduce?  :-(

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I just read a blog by an Integrative physician who was talking on how to reverse autoimmune diseases. He claims the immune system gets a wrong message and attacks the body because of many factors, metals, pesticides, processed food, allergies, etc. For me, my disease was caught very early when my T3 and T4 levels were only slightly out of range, however, my TSH remained at less than 0.01 until I added L-Carntine and then Acetyl-L-Carnitine to my treatment protocol. There was a research study by Dr. Salvatore Benvenga of Italy on this. You can Google him and find it. There has been some discussion on the Board recently about conflicting reports on the safety of L-Carnitine. Both my bosses who are metabolic physicians have told me that at the doses we use, it is very safe. Also, in Britain and Europe L-Canitine (Carnitor) and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR) are sold by prescription. In order to do this, the company has had to do Phase I and Phase II clinical trials to demonstrate its safety and they have passed that test. Carnitine is an amino acid that is naturally present in the body but gets depleted from the muscles of hyperthyroid patients. My TSH remained at less than 0.01 for two years until I added Acetyl-L-Carnitine to my meds. This caused my TSH to shoot up well into the normal range and allowed me to decrease my Tapazole. I took no more than 1,000 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and had to decrease it to 500 mg as soon as my blood work showed massive improvement in my TSH.
  • Posted

Think you Linda, just trying to read some info on  Acetyl-L-Carnitine and  L-carnitine.  Initally all my symptoms were out down to stress and anxiety, it was when I saw another dr at my gp surgry and she asked how long have you had the massive lump in your throat, that blood tests were done, so really I should probably say I have had it for 3 years.  How do people cope with the diarrhoea
    • Posted

Here in Canada we have a product on the shelf called Immodium. I recently had a bout of diarrhea and it helped a lot. You will start to feel better when you can get your meds to work. If you feel comfortable, try the Acetyl-L-Carnitine and see how you feel.
    • Posted

We have that in the uk too, didnt help much in my case though. I am just waiting for my consultant to ring me back, as just want to make sure being on a beta-blocker its ok
  • Posted

Also, get your Total Carnitine and Free Carntiine levels tested before you start on the supplement. I am sure you will find it to be deficient. As well you are probably Vitamin D deficient and you need to supplement with that as well as 200 mg of Selenium.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up