Graves back clinic pushing for rai or surgery any advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was treated for graves with carbimazole for 18 months and discharged from clinic. All fine for 6 months but symptoms started again and my blood results show T4 18 and TSH 0.01. Clinic advised next step was rai or surgery not keen for either but looking for advice on both and any alternative treatment? Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I amminterested in your posting because my tsh is 0.37, T4 15.1 TPOAS less than 33. Thyroglobulin 5. Low ferratin and iron. Have nodules but still untreated!
  • Posted

Were your antibodies tested before you discontinued Carbimazole?  They should have been.  If you add supplements to your treatment, you will get better results.  I took Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg a day, vitamin D 1,000 IU per day, Magnesium 200 mg a day, curcumin and omega 3.
    • Posted

Linda you've commented on my posts before. Much as I appreciate your concern I feel a lot of what you say is without foundation. It is not true that 75 % of people on thyroxine feel unwell. I know many people who feel fine whereas many don't on carbimazole. You've no idea about how I'm feeling or my medical history so please don't try to convince me it's not right option. I've had enough so I'll take my chances.. ev

• Posted

Yes I had them tested and everything was back to normal levels.
  • Posted

The same thing happened to me.  I went into remission and then it started up again when I was going through a very stressful period.  That was March 2013 and now they are unable to stablise me.  When carbomazole is increased I go hypo and when reduced hyper again.  Three years is too long to have your life on hold so I'm going for a total thryoidectomy as RAI is unsuitable for me.  I suggest you see how you go with this flare and if it keeps coming back go for something permanent.  Thyroxine is used to treat hypo patients and is a MUCH safer option than carbimazole that has side effects.  I've tried vitamins and healthy eating and going gluten free but nothing works for some people.  I've also found that every time it returns it's even worse.  

• Posted

I have seen your pattern in patients who have Hashimoto's.  Do you have Hashimoto's or Graves and Hashimoto's?  If you do there are better options than the irreversible kill or destroy your thyroid.  At least 75 percent of people who do not have a thyroid and take levothyroxine don't feel good and levothyroxine is the drug of choice for physicians to prescribe.  People who keep their thyroid but go hypo don't seem to have the same problem with levo.

• Posted

Hello Linda

I would like to get rid of my thyroid and start living again.

The signs and symptoms for me as well as others are devastating. No one should put up with this torture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.