Graves Diease

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.

i have had this horrid thing for the 5 years and still fighting it, i have had the orbital decompression, muscle realiement, lid operations steriods azathioprine. yet i still like im losing my eye sight. i cant stand the day light ( that really hurts ) even on cloudy days it can hurt my eyes. i even get rainbows around things now like the street lights or car headlamps if im in the car with my huisband.they are burning all the time, red, to see is like looking throught water all the time, and i cant seem to get around especially where steps are concerned, depth semms to be a problem also.. i am very worried about losing my sight all to gether. can anyone tell me please do any of you suffers with the same horrid thing as this have the same problems. i would really like to know. one of the consultants told me i could see better now than before. ( yea right ) they need to try living with it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time with your eyes. I only had a minor problem, puffy eyes, double vision at times so I cant really help much but if you would like to look on the Graves Part 4 Page, you will find many other overactive thyroid sufferers and will get lots of support. It just helps to know you are not alone with this horrible illness. I hope you get some improvement very soon.

Bess.

• Posted

Hi,

I have problems with my eyes too, they are incredibly light sensitive and sting and water even at night when I am asleep.

There is some great support over on Graves Part 4 if you can find it,

I have only had Graves for approx 7 months and there are many times when I have felt so depressed, it really gets you down,

• Posted

i have just found this forum and it is good to know i am not alone. i was diagnosed with overactive thyroid10 months ago and started with45mg daily neo-mercazole and now down to 2.5mg daily. my levels have been good for 3 months in a row and if it continues, i may stop taking the medication. my big problem is my thyroid eye disease which has worsened during the last 6 months. i have undergone 2 times Steroid-Infusion therapy and twice radiation therapy but the eyes still bulged and the eye lids very swollen. i have terrible double vision and continuous red eyes. however, i have no more eye pressue pains or headaches and the eyeballs have receded somewhat. my ophthalmoligist wants me to have orbital decompression asap but i am so afraid of the procedure which is making a cut from one ear to the other over my head and then drilling two holes in my skull to reach the back of the eye cavity so the surgeon could cut the bones. Hospital stay is 7 days minimum. i would like to know if anyone has had this procedure or know of any other procedure which does not involve going through the skull.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.